Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-03-2004 , 11:21 PM
Subscriber

"Perfect Storm" ocean shader

How do I create an ocean shader that looks like something similar to "Perfect Storm"?

# 2 09-03-2004 , 11:29 AM
I've tried to re-create it too. It's not easy. I used layered shader: one layer for the actual water and another layer for the foam. Lighting plays a big role on the looks as always. The shader I created looks crap in a different kind of lighting setup. All it takes is days of tweaking and loads of test renders user added image

Here's my results:
https://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/karppa/anim/...1-3Preview.zip

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 09-03-2004 , 12:24 PM
Subscriber
kbrown, I missed the part where you added the cabin interior... looks good! Nice camera shake when it hits the trough of the wave!

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 4 09-03-2004 , 04:56 PM
Subscriber
Thanks, KB. I'll take a look at it and see what I can learn.

# 5 09-03-2004 , 04:59 PM
Subscriber
KB, I think that animation looks pretty dang cool. Could I get my hands on your version of the shader? I've love to know how you made those splashes, too.

user added image

Last edited by maya4todd; 09-03-2004 at 05:01 PM.
# 6 09-03-2004 , 08:05 PM
Hehheh... Try to do it yourself... You'll learn much more that way. user added image

I don't want to just give away something that took so long to accomplish. Same goes for the splashes. It's a very complex setup. Lots of expressions and whatnot. Basically the ocean is deformed using an expression. Based on the info that expression is producing another expression emits foam on top of the crests. A third expression then emits mist from the foam particles etc etc... Can't even remember properly user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 7 09-03-2004 , 09:20 PM
Subscriber
Ahh, ok. Well, my main reason for requesting a "copy" of your scene/shader was out of the hopes I might be able to "reverse-engineer" the shader and learn from that.

When it comes to great programs like Maya that excite me because of their excellent design and intuitiveness, I'm like a kid in a candy store. I just want to eat it all at once. user added image

Thanks again.

# 8 11-03-2004 , 01:57 PM
Subscriber
Over at Simply Lightwave, Philip does a great stormy ocean tutorial.
Yes it's in Lightwave, but you can recreate the surface properties in Maya.