Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 13-10-2005 , 06:47 PM

turning book pages

I'm still just learning my way through Maya and I've come up against a need to have a nice looking page turn effect, kind of like the page turns in the book at the beginning of Shrek.

Are there any good tutorials out there that show how to set up something like this?

I tried using a bend deformer on a NURBS plane, and that looked okay, but it wasn't free-flowing like the Shrek pages (obviously).

Am I looking at having to just do manual point animation to get that free-flowing page turn look, or are there better ways of doing it?

# 2 13-10-2005 , 07:12 PM
The Maya Mountain
To get the best control, you'd probably want to literally rig a page with a skeletal chain and animate it like that.

Another option is to do a blend shape transition with in-between morph targets.

# 3 13-10-2005 , 07:52 PM
that sounds like a whole lot of work for a simple page turn robert0, hehe! but I have to admit I couldnĀ“t possibly think of any workaround until mike explained.

good luck!

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 4 13-10-2005 , 08:40 PM
Thanks guys. I'll look into the blend shape and skeleton methods.

I don't mind it being a little tedious if it comes out looking good. I just didn't want it to be tedious if there was an easier way that I wasn't aware of.