Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 21-11-2008 , 09:33 PM

Polygon Shaping

Hi I remember seeing somewhere that you could cut a shape out of a polygon with another one, IE I have a Cube and I want to use a Cylinder to cut in to it to create a profile like cornice used around ceilings. Does someone know what the command is for this and the method.

Thanks for any help

# 2 21-11-2008 , 10:48 PM
Read up on 'Booleans.'

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 3 22-11-2008 , 04:09 PM
Thanks that got me in the right direction, Cornice created method understood for a little moment I thought it only applied to Nurbs but found the relevant section under Polys.

It's better to be pointed in the right direction other than led to the water if you find your own way there 9 times out of ten you can get out again.

# 4 22-11-2008 , 06:11 PM
Subscriber
it's generally suggested to keep away from booleans because of the mess they create and small tendency to fail a lot of the time

the alternative is to manually boolean, that is, to draw in the edges of the intersection and then extrude (that would be for union and difference though)

i've not heard of a way to manually do intersection but i guess it would work on the same principle.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 22-11-2008 , 06:32 PM
It depends on the circumstance. Some boolean operations are very concise without any cleanup. Others can require a boatload. Typically, if I use them, it will be one of the last things I do to an object. For example, look at a disc brake...booleans are great for creating the small holes and any grooves. Things like that become more difficult to do manually creating circular holes because of all the splitting/cutting you have to do. Like anything, there are more ways to model something, all with pros and cons. Do what's most efficient in getting the job done.

# 6 22-11-2008 , 06:59 PM
I made a little script that boolians an object from a curve, pretty good to get a basic shape out then clean it up for background objects.

They are emssy but can be used IF, IF you know what they actually do.

As Nirto said though theres many ways to get there, if your starting try to stay away from boolians untill you need them as they can cause problems.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 22-11-2008 , 08:00 PM
As an alternative to booleans (for organic hole shapes, anyway) is to play around with bevelplus a bit. Use curves to draw the main shape, then draw other shapes within (for the holes), select the main shape and shift + select the inner shapes, then perform BP on it. Play with the settings in the channel box if you want hard edges and no bevel to it. The caveat to using this is that the end caps are each a single face so if you need to build off either, you'd have to manually split across the face from each side...this can be a drag if you have a lot of vertical edges. If it's just something you perform BP on and leave alone, it's a non-issue...like using the text tool.

# 8 22-11-2008 , 08:34 PM
Thanks Guys, Lots of food for thought. I accomplished what I was after with Edit Mesh-Booleans-Difference. Slowly working my way through Tutorials picking up as much as I can on the way. Once I have finished this Model I going to crack getting the best out of rendering.