Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 17-10-2010 , 10:40 PM
Subscriber

Grav-bike

Started a gravity bike model. The original concept came out of a ninja high school comic way back in the day by ben dunn I think. I've never seen it and am running off of a friend of mine's description. So I came up with this for him based on what he gave me and kind of ran with it.

Oh and don't mind the seams I haven't merged some of the meshes yet before I get to texturing.

Attached Thumbnails

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 2 17-10-2010 , 10:44 PM
Subscriber
as I started modeling the engine and frame I got carried away. The most important pieces are done but I kind of have an idea of how the engine and internal components will work out so I went ahead and decided to model all of it.

I've got a few more hours of modeling to do on the internals but here is what I've got so far.

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 17-10-2010 , 10:52 PM
Lifetime Member
Lookin good mate

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 18-10-2010 , 04:19 AM
SM Tea Boy
Looking good so far user added image

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 23-10-2010 , 11:10 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the encouraging words guys. I'm really excited about how the unseen internals came out.

I finished the modeling and moved onto the texturing without posting the final stagest of the guts and gears so to speak.

Below is attached the final look of the internal fusion reactor driven turbine engines and accompanying components color coded by function.

Red - Main reactor with stepdown electrical converter foward, regulator gear rearwards with output to turbines.

Green - micro turbines (4) designed like smaller versions of jet engines (cool air in, compression chamber to heat the air, leading out)

Yellow - Cooling regulating system.

Purple - Air intake to turbines

Blue - Environmental control emmitter to generate a field that regulates the surrounding air keeping the rider cooler in hot environments and warmer in cold for a more pleasant ride. (I was told its a really high end bike so you HAVE to ride in absolute luxury!)

Light blue - Graviton emitter. This generates the lift needed to suspend the bike in the air

I'm hoping to finish what little mapping I need to do and work on a showroom type lighting style to light this guy.

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 24-10-2010 , 01:25 AM
Lifetime Member
well all I can say is it looks good. I have been trying to get a concept of a skybike together for months. My sons watch a cartoon called Stormhawks and I was inspired...but you beat me to the punch mate! LOL

I have been working on one myself but Im a little stuck ATM. I hope to get some more done later in the week. Mine runs on similar concept...though mine will be more military in nature.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 24-10-2010 , 04:19 AM
Subscriber
Thanks bullet!

I wish the entire concept was my idea but it was made a lot easier by someone else doing the description.

But I'm all about the future tech its the sci-fi supernerd in me. It'll be interesting to see what kind of miltary grade skybike you come up with!

# 8 24-10-2010 , 04:40 AM
Lifetime Member
Yeh Im thinking of a bike with a manned turret on the rear....have a look in my Rain Tut thread you will see the beginning of it...just an idea at present.

keep it up mate...lookin good

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 9 24-10-2010 , 06:11 PM
Subscriber
pretty cool idea, looking good so far. I wouldn't even know where to begin with something like this.

# 10 24-10-2010 , 09:13 PM
Lifetime Member
hey Wolfgang,

here is what I was thinking of....its obviously way diiferent to yours but similar idea. It is hard to get it together isnt it...so many ideas run through the mind!! Mine is square one minute then round the next idea wise!

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 11 25-10-2010 , 12:56 AM
Subscriber
I like it! It looks like it has a lot of potential to be really aggressive. I saw the clip you made of the rain effect you adapted into an engine effect and its going to look good once everything is all said and done. Since you started with the effect in the engine I'd start there. Some emitter nurnies to show where the particles are coming from and then grow from there. But looking at it as a whole it is REALLY hard. Once I started with a tiny spot it grew on its own into something more complex.

# 12 25-10-2010 , 01:08 AM
Subscriber
Been playing around with the lighting for...wow a few hours now.

Found a pretty neat HDRI lighting tutorial on the net to get myself started with the concept. All total there are five standard lights and an HDRI globe for lighting with Final Gather turned on. Its still pretty dark and nowhere near a "Showroom" type look. So there is still a great deal of work that needs to be done.

Also the texturing is VERY basic, all just thrown on with no adjustments as I worked on lighting it properly.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. There is a car paint shader right above the mettalic paint texture... re-rendered and reposted. Also can anyone explain to me why the HDRI globe washes out the Ambient Occlusion pass?

Here is some of my settings just in case someone has some advice on where I should improve my lighitng setup.

HDRI globe - color gain HSV value upped to a value of 2
Four spotlights - intensity set to .2
a point light directly above the model its intensity set at .25
Final Gather set at around 1500

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by CGWolfgang; 25-10-2010 at 01:37 AM.
# 13 25-10-2010 , 01:20 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL yes mate it does turn into something Ben Hur doesnt it!! You start with something small, change it, then start again LOL.

That looks good mate!! It will look even better once you have the textures and lighting spot on! wow...not bad at all.

Yeh I might change the engine design yet...just waiting for a mate to get back online and see what he reckons.

keep up the fine work mate

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 14 02-11-2010 , 01:37 AM
Subscriber
Just a quick update as I haven't posted one in a while.

I've got the bulk of the texturing done but still needs polishing. The seat texture isn't done, the colored lights need work as well as bump mapping for a more headlight look and the rubber especially on the handlebars is not working.

But thanks to an artist named Larry Mann I have a theme/color scheme for the bike. Larry gave me permission to use his character Kallisti and his Helltongue artwork as bike art for the bike. If anyone is interested in viewing the original art, as well as his other stuff he's on deviant art under the name arconius.

Attached Thumbnails

# 15 02-11-2010 , 01:54 AM
Lifetime Member
Looks good so far mate!!

cheers bullet

bullet1968