View Poll Results: Do you vote on Aldudeau's final render or vectorman's
aldudeau 1 33.33%
vectorman 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 12-08-2003 , 05:21 PM
Subscriber
thanx man, you're definately right about the wall, i was thinking that last night, i'll probably end up going with a nice procedural, but tell me how this looks.

Attached Thumbnails

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 17 12-08-2003 , 11:24 PM
Subscriber
Wow man very nice,

A few thigs though:

The table texture is cool but maybe a little too dark. Or perhaphs more lights.

I'm still not sure about the ratio of the monitor, it just looks a bit off.

I think you should do something about the handles on the table because the don't look like they are 3d (if you know what i mean).

That's it, apart from those things the scene is coming along very nicely. i hope i hav't been too harshuser added image

Alex

MSN: mizin_alex@hotmail.com
E-MAIL: mizina@alphalink.com.au
# 18 13-08-2003 , 06:30 PM
Subscriber
Okay, so here is a lighting update, the monitor is 4:3 damnit so leave me alone!(jk but it is) And these shadows should make them look 3d. Need to find a decent cement floor texture.

PS Hid the keyboard by mistake.

Attached Thumbnails

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
# 19 14-08-2003 , 02:36 AM
Subscriber
Good stuff. The wall looks a bit repeated. Desk is a great texture job though, looks worn in all the right places which I always think is hard to do without overdoing it. You might want to consider making the handles look a bit more used but overall it has a good look to it imho.

# 20 14-08-2003 , 03:08 AM
Subscriber
Okay update on the floor, added "molding" and i'm still playing around with the lighting. I'm thinking about actually texturing the "handles" since they are instanced right now, and they have the same texture because of it. Keep those crits coming! (maybe some suggestions on lighting?)

Attached Thumbnails

# 21 14-08-2003 , 08:26 AM
Subscriber
I like it vectorman!

Sorry if i pissed you off bout the monitor.

i agree withc witchy that the table looks great, the wall though is still in need of some other textures i think. it looks too sort of bubbly...

apart from that its cool man

alex

MSN: mizin_alex@hotmail.com
E-MAIL: mizina@alphalink.com.au
# 22 14-08-2003 , 03:46 PM
Subscriber
Hey vectorman, really nice job so far on your whole scene. Usually it would be to similar to round one but because ald got sick i have to say that i give you a :thumbsup: for trying. Man, and that scene looks nice! Your bump map on the wall gives it a nice feel user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 23 14-08-2003 , 06:06 PM
Subscriber
Thanx M! Maybe you misunderstood, this is not supposed to be different from round one, but when ald got sick, i decided to have a bit more closure on this project, as opposed to starting a whole new one, because i really liked where this one was going.

and aldudeau, you did not piss me off, notice the ------>"J/K"(just kidding) !

Thanx everyone for all you're support.

# 24 14-08-2003 , 06:31 PM
Subscriber
Looks good vectorman. However, you should probably make the border (whatever it's called) between floor and wall a bit darker. Also try softening the shadowborders (either by adding some more lights or by turning on arealights).

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 25 14-08-2003 , 07:15 PM
Subscriber
Hey santa i took you're advice about the area lights. In fact i've been trying to figure out how to make these shadows soft for a while now, and theyre still hard! Ack how do i do it?

Sorry about the textures (like the keyboard and such) for i do not have a working camera anymore (my wicked nice sony video cam has crapped out and needs to go out for service).

Attached Thumbnails

# 26 14-08-2003 , 08:33 PM
Subscriber
First time i've seen this thread as i had to do a windows reinstallation, but the textures on the desk look great. Did you paint the dents yourself? If i'd got through to round two i think i would of remodeled my speakers and base tube from round one to get them photo real.

# 27 14-08-2003 , 09:47 PM
Subscriber
Vectorman, you can try either area lights, or you could use raytraced shadows with a light radius (in the r.t. shadow section) turned up (that will give it a softer effect with distance.

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 28 14-08-2003 , 09:48 PM
Subscriber
no for the billionth time i WISH i painted those textures by hand, its truly the real texture from my desk, the hard part was stiching together some 640 stills at different angles (slightly) to create all one texture, and then laying out the uvs from the desk onto that texture.