Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-11-2003 , 06:06 PM

changing shape of pond in maya 5?

i cant seem to figure out how to make pond with other shape other than the default box shape
anyone??

# 2 07-11-2003 , 08:00 PM
Create a poly plane and using the sculpt tool, push the geometery down into the disired shape?

>Chris

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 3 08-11-2003 , 03:26 AM
yes..that makes the geometry
but what the pond? (fluids effect - pond - create pond)
how can i make the pond shape matches the geometry?
cos if had the geometry smaller i can see the pond sticking out in four edges...if i scale down the pod it wont fill the whole area of geometry that i want

# 4 08-11-2003 , 03:39 AM
The box shape you see is the fluid container that allows you acess to the pre-packaged effect-controls for the pond like Wake, etc.

The Fluid effects/Pond is contained inside this container, and is made up of a surface combined with a heightfield and springs.

The nature of this beast does not allow you to create a pond from a custom shape, unlike a 3d fluid emitter, or ocean shader/texture for example.

However, the docs claim that you can scale this shape in the Z and X to get it to fit into your pond area.

Could you show us a pic of the pond area geometry that you are trying to fit it inside of?

Thanks!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 08-11-2003 , 11:49 AM
too bad i dont have the scene file right now...but let say if the pond shape geometry that i want is a circle

for example like this...

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 10-11-2003 , 12:02 AM
Just curious as to what it is your making. If it's a pond why is it a circle chape.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 7 10-11-2003 , 12:55 PM
its just an example...(bad example)
but the pond im working on is pretty much like a circle, its overall shape is like a one big circle
and i have no other geometry that can be used to hide those extra edges sticking out from that pond container shape

thanks

# 8 10-11-2003 , 06:00 PM
Bummer about the lack of "hiding" geometry, as that is usualy a "given" in these cases because of the nature of the container shape.

Not sure what to tell you other than might you have something else you can hide it with?

Or maybe use the alpha of the current circle geometry as a mask in post to clip off the corners maybe?

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 9 11-11-2003 , 01:07 PM
i see..
seems like its not posible for me to use this pond feature
well...ill try somethin else then

thanks alot

# 10 11-11-2003 , 03:26 PM
No, no, you can still use the pond feature, you just have to mask off the corners in post with the alpha of your current geometry that's alluser added image

Don't give up so soon! user added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 11 12-11-2003 , 12:22 PM
im sorry but i dont have any clue how to do that user added image
i was thinking of recreating the pond with soft body