Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 271 22-03-2006 , 01:46 PM
Subscriber
of course....nobody is excluded. If you aren't as good as our star modelers and animators then as Matt said, your stuff will just not be the main focus and it won't achieve close-ups. No offense, but I'm sure my stuff will be in the background as well, :}:}

My password is ********.
# 272 24-03-2006 , 02:38 AM
Subscriber
Don't worry, no offense taken. I appreciate everyone's kindness on the matter. I'm still teaching myself modeling, mostly inorganic objects, and I've dabbled in texturing.

Of course I don't expect anything I do to have a closeup, I also wouldn't be surprised if most (if not all) of what I model will end up on the cutting floor.

I just want the experience to be a part of a production, just to get a taste so maybe someday I'll be better equipped to tackle a project on my own.

So, to answer a previous person's question: By default, my "specialty" is modeling (even though I'm not awesome at it).

So please let me know what I can do to help, and if you don't need the newbie help, I won't be upset. Just be up front about it. =)

# 273 27-03-2006 , 12:51 AM
so.... can we start or is it a waiting game?

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 274 27-03-2006 , 01:55 AM
Subscriber
it's a movie about waiting...

I've been told there's a lot of waiting on set but this is, well, err..

user added image user added image user added image

hand out orders Matt, we can atleast give t a go, nothing to lose, can only learn.., even if we don't have a blockbuster product.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 275 27-03-2006 , 02:11 AM
ok- grab your wacoms- we have a character making competition!

# 276 27-03-2006 , 07:18 AM
Subscriber
sorry about this question; do you want 2D or 3D to start with (characters)user added image :blush: user added image

Matt, you are on 3d Max occasionally, whats the equivalent for moving the view in the view screen, Maya is ; ALT/ mouse drag, what's Max?

sorry about these questions, I know the last one is blasphemous.

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 27-03-2006 at 07:22 AM.
# 277 27-03-2006 , 07:28 AM
Subscriber
This is a cool idea. I wanted to do this but didnt think anyone would agree to it. As for version of mayas, there's a script to convert from new version maya to old maya.

# 278 27-03-2006 , 02:35 PM
Subscriber
max is the same kind of thing for moving. The only difference is that middle-click is not move the screen, see? The clicks have different assignments but it's primarily the same thing.

My password is ********.
# 279 27-03-2006 , 02:37 PM
Subscriber
I think we should start with 3D because a lot of the time 2D art from people is not precise enough to use as a reference. I've seen this from my friends who have told me to model something but have given me really horrible reference pics. What do you think Matt?

My password is ********.
# 280 27-03-2006 , 11:25 PM
um.... plz dont start in 3d. Dont jump in just yet!

We need some concept sketches (2D!) but they can be general 3d crap, with no details and such

As for 3ds Max:

ALT MMB = Rotate
MMB = Pan
MMB Roll (turn the wheel) = zoom

# 281 29-03-2006 , 05:21 AM
Subscriber
alright...agreed. Well, let's get started. We need concept sketches of the main character and perhaps some other characters that could perhaps give the storyline a little more oomph! These can be concept sketches but perhaps the land concepts could be 3D? I could use Terragen to get started on this. Matt would you like to assign or should I?

My password is ********.
# 282 29-03-2006 , 07:15 AM
Subscriber
Wait a minute, are you guys starting already? How is this being done.....?

# 283 29-03-2006 , 03:15 PM
Subscriber
we are going to model some concepts for certain things and do some 2D concepts as well. Then I or someone else can host these pics of the sketches and models and we can share some ideas to start modeling... 3DsMax and Maya are compatible as long as the files are saved as .OBJ

My password is ********.