Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 07-08-2007 , 09:30 PM

Construction History Question

Version: Maya 8.5 Personal Learning Edition
Current Book: Learning Autodesk Maya 8 Foundation

Problem: I came to a section of my book about construction history and I met a problem. It said that when I selected a Input the manipulater displays.

Here is the actual text:

"8 Construction History

All the different tools used on the doorknob thus far are still accessible through the Inputs section of the Channel Box. Hightlighting them will allow you to tweak action taken without undoing and losing all your work.

o With the knob selected, highlight any of the polyExtrudeFace nodes in the Inputs section of the Channel Box.

The extrude manipulator is automatically displayed"

The underlined section is where I'm having a problem. No matter which of the many nodes I select the manipulator just doesn't show. I'm not sure if this is because I have PLE again.

Any and all comments or remarks are welcomed!!!!:attn: :attn:

Signature
# 2 08-08-2007 , 12:12 AM
Subscriber
Hi not using PLE, so I am not 100% sure what differs.

You know what, I've always had the exact same problem. Plenty of nodes in the channelbox but can't get a manipulator for that operator. Only the entire object.
I rarely end up using the construction history list at all, and work with edges and faces instead. It's still on, I just never fiddle with any of the nodes and frequently delete all by type->History.

What you can do is select a node such as polyExtrudeFace2, 4 , and so on. In the channel box you can alter it parametrically by entering numbers for rotate or translate etc.

Wouldn't it be easier if we could get a manipulator for that segment instead user added image
Or are we both missing something important?

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 3 08-08-2007 , 02:45 AM
Lifetime Member
i think if you click on the show manipulator tool (bottom of the toolbox on the left) and select the object and the then the extrude node ect in the channel box, the manipulator will show up.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 4 08-08-2007 , 03:38 AM
Subscriber
Aha. Right you are. It works. Just awkward workflow imho, but that is a topic for another discussion user added image
Thanks JSProgg.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 5 08-08-2007 , 07:13 PM
Sniped!:p Thanks!!!

Signature