Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 04-04-2007 , 06:52 PM

Mental ray Memory

Hi

some of you may have seen my WIP thread on my turntable. Now I have been rendering my scene using mental ray and all was going well, however i have since duplicated my turntable so that there are two (as you would expect). The scene is 2238058 faces (scene file .mp is 163mb!!!) and when I try to render it with MR and final gather its aborts and says it has ran out of memory.

now I am running Maya PLE so the MR render is 512x512 on my mac book pro 2.33Ghz processor with 2GB of RAM and I thought that this would be sufficient to render this scene?

I have searched for this problem and have seen a few similar situations but no real solutions?!? I dont know much about MR render so are there any setting or sample rates that I can change that might help me? I saw a thread saying to increase the BPS but i dont no what that is or why I should do it?

also worth pointing out that it also fails when rendered using maya software render.

any help would be great as id really like to figure this out.

cheers
robin