Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-09-2009 , 09:51 PM
Subscriber

smart gun

I was wondering if anyone had any comments and/or crit about this. I made the gun ages ago, along with a few others, and now my knowledge of lighting is a little better I thought Id have a go at getting some better renders. I saw lots of 3d guns that people had made at the time, and they were always really well presented, so I wanted to have a little go. I wondered what people thought.

The idea is to add some more objects in the environment, some control panels or, well the concept Ive got in mind is like the spaceships in aliens, or in star wars. I just want to throw in some more detail to cover up some of the window area.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 27-09-2009 , 11:43 PM
thats a nice looking scene but sorry to say i think because of that its really hard to get the basic shapes of the gun

# 3 28-09-2009 , 08:23 AM
Subscriber
I was a bit worried about that. The last thing I did was to add the green rim light to try and highlight the edges, It helped bring out some, but has added to other confusion in the scene. I'm not sure Im keen on the green colour of the light either, especially as it matches the big green star in the background. And looking at it in the context of 'out there', as in here on simply maya rather than just on my own computer, I see that its not that well lit at all.user added image :hug:

My brother looked at it and thought it was a satellite!!

I think I need to redo some of the lighting...

# 4 28-09-2009 , 12:14 PM
Subscriber
ok. I tried adding some volume lights to see if they might help picking out the guns form a bit. I think they helped a little. Overdid it in the second shot, need to find a bit of a happier medium. I might try changing the volume lights emission from outward to inward, as their causing some nasty hotspots. out of time now, have to go work.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 28-09-2009 , 12:16 PM
Subscriber
too bright

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 28-09-2009 , 01:57 PM
The Nurb Herd
looks like your green rim light is doing something to the BG image too.

# 7 30-09-2009 , 01:51 AM
looks cool - i'm missing some of the detail from the planet tho in the latest pic - might be nice to give it / or emphasize the atmosphere more...

also, i think you need to work on the composition - especially where the planet's edge gets lost behind the support...