Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 31 05-03-2005 , 10:46 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Rick

Sorry not posted anymore for a bit . Its coming along nicely. As for the hair (not another pointer) what are you using?

Also something has struck me around the upper eye lid, it seems to go inwards quite harshly, you may want to increase the 'meat' up there a bit. I'll get some eye ref and post shortly

Cheers bud

_J

# 32 06-03-2005 , 04:37 PM
Haha, The hair is three renderable lines. I filmbox transfered the model to Max for that. I duplicated them and then attached multiple so I can tweek clumps at a time. I will add more along the hairline as well as Make it more uneven when I am almot done. I just do not want to add anymore weight to the model yet sense I have to tranfer it over eveytime I want to see it added together. I have never really been happy with paint effects hair and as far as I can tell, it does not work with mental ray. I modeled them in clumps. I will increase the number later but I have not. Funny you say that about the eye because I have already done it. I just did not want to post such a small update. It is subtle but you are right. It does look a lot better. Maybe I should not have done that last post but it really was not a helpful one. Hair is not an easy thing and if you are going to make a statement like that there should be examples. I have been working hard at trying to find a decent way to do hair and I do not want her hair pulled back or her to have short hair. There are very few cases when I have seen the hair look great but when someone is working on a model for a while, you hould use some tack. The ahir on the last render will be retoch considerably in photoshop so I know I can paint in corrections and improve it. I just need a base.

# 33 06-03-2005 , 09:36 PM
aha!

user added image

He looks just like the invisible guy in "Hollow Man"

it's almost uncanny :O

# 34 08-03-2005 , 02:40 AM
ZykotiK, hah, a bit.

Here is an update but it is the futuristic jeep in the image. I do not feel futuristic meens round. It is what I would like one to look like. Your taste might be deferent than mine. The mesh is not as clean as I would like it to be. I am working fast.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by RickStefani; 08-03-2005 at 03:35 AM.
# 35 08-03-2005 , 03:10 AM
Subscriber
Cool tires, sort of mini-tank treads. Not sure how they'd stay on but still cool.

Concur that futuristic doesn't have to mean round, especially on a utility vehicle, where angles give a more stoic appearance.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

Last edited by mhcannon; 08-03-2005 at 06:47 AM.
# 36 08-03-2005 , 06:28 AM
Thanks. I have a bit more modeling to do there. It will have pistons inside to control the shape of the tire. It will be able to squat ther tread when offroading as well as lift the axles with hydrolics for more clearence. It also has a force articulation and angle adjustment. In other words, if it is on an offcamber hill the axles will move into possition to keap the body flat and the axles down hill a little for stability. I will see how much of this I will hit. The engine is an electro air motor. it charges the air and ionizes it then acelerates it through a turbine. It is the air pressure that turns the turbine to move the car. It uses a hydrogen cell for power. I am a dork, I know.

# 37 08-03-2005 , 06:48 AM
Subscriber
Edison was a dork, so you're in good company. user added image

# 38 09-03-2005 , 05:07 PM
Edison is good company. Here is an update of the jeep so the threads should make more sense.

Attached Thumbnails
# 39 09-03-2005 , 06:13 PM
It all looks great, a big thumbs up user added image

# 40 09-03-2005 , 06:39 PM
Subscriber
Ah... the tires make sense to me now, and look quite viable, except the default (yeah I spent a lot time on a computer) shape would probably be more oval. I like the color change too, more utility less sporty.

# 41 09-03-2005 , 07:41 PM
DrRobotnik, thanks

mhcannon, haha, I know the feeling. Ya, the default may have an oval shape if I do not add another cam, hum, almost out of time so we will see.