Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 20-05-2006 , 10:24 PM
Subscriber

Jedi Starfighter (modeling)>Part 8

Hello,

Quickly, I'd like to say this dvd is great. Not as basic as digital-tutors & not as terse as Gnomon. I'll be shifting my purchase to "Simply" in the future....

Question is as follows:
Jedi Starfighter (modeling)>Part 8, noticed Kurt, between tutorials 7 & 8, sliced the wing in half. Then he polygon>separeted I assume.

Its now like a sandwich with a small section missing in its center.

To achieve similar, used the "Cut Faces Tool" in the side view to do 2 very close splits in the middle. Then deleted the faces at the absolute center.

polygon>separeted

Problem is at certain angles, I ca see right through to the other side of the wing.

Since Kurt did not illustrate this problem or technique to solve it....

What can I do to solve this problem?

Thanks
Fess

# 2 20-05-2006 , 11:55 PM
Subscriber
can you post a screen shot ?

# 3 21-05-2006 , 06:20 PM
Subscriber
mmoore5553,

Yes, some screenshot would help illustrate my issue better.
Here they are:

screenshot01
screenshot02

If I try to extrude the edges to help hide the "see through", they don't extrude uniformly with the extrude manipulator center or uncentered.

Whats the 'clean' solution to fixing this so one cannot see to the other side. user added image

Confused
Fess

# 4 21-05-2006 , 10:15 PM
Im pretty sure after i split the wing i selected the edges along the split and extruded them inward once or twice to create a bevel if the centertering has not given you good result try not cetnering the extrude tool and slowly pick one of the arrows and move inward one of the arrows should extrude all teh edges uniformly it chages with each shape sometime.. That tools like to do weird things sometimes..

The last option if the above done work is just select edges along a straight line extrude them out just a bit and repeat until you creat the bevel that way. Once you hae the bevel nice move the vertices around the outside where the edges are not merged and sew them up.The lowerthe top half just a bit to have it not see through.

Let me know if that helps.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 5 22-05-2006 , 03:20 PM
Subscriber
Kurt,
Thanks for respnding, tried both options. user added image
1st one was less work, just had to adjust some verts, which gave the desired resluts.

Learned a great amount in regards to "hard" surface modeling.

I'd like to lean about "soft" surface modeling & need a visually/verbally informative dvd that reflects this teaching.

Got my eye on the TRex package. Does this package provide/illustrate the soft surface/organic techniques?

Fess

Trini For Life