Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 04-07-2003 , 06:34 PM

MAYA 4.5 CV-CURVE / IK SPLINE HANDLE CONTROL

Hi!

If I have a bone chain with a cv-curve in it controlled by an IK spline handle, is their a way to mirror/duplicate that entire arrangement? I have a pair of long ears on a character I would like to control this way and wondered if after setting up one ear I could mirror the whole set-up to the other side. I have set each one up individually but for some reason the IK handle orients differently on one of the ears. By that I mean the three-prong handle at the end of the IK spline points the axis-handle back up inside the chain instead of pointing it down, outside the chain where it can be grabbed. If you can imagine a pair of long droopy ears hanging down with a seven-joint chain inside, and can see the IK handle at the bottom joint, one ear sets up with the axis-handle pointing straight down (how I would like it) and the other ear sets up with the axis handle pointing up, inside the chain. Any thoughts? Is there a way to include a screen-print in these posts? That way I could show you better. The bone chain is not straight but has some curvature to it. Should I make these ears perfectly straight for the set-up process and then position them to fit the geometry? If I do that, won’t it affect my ‘zeroes’ and my preferred angle? Does it matter if one ear has its IK handle oriented differently? Is this normal for a left/right pair of controls? If I’m making too big a deal out of this I apologize, I just hate it when something doesn’t seem to make sense. Why won’t they both set-up the same way?

Thanks for all the great suggestions in past posts!