Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 25-10-2003 , 05:31 PM
Subscriber

Teach a n00b to texture...

I started modelling 2 days ago, and managed to make this friendly looking chap user added image (don't laugh at me!)

user added image

The eyes and the shadow were added in photoshop as I still have not figured out how to do this in maya. Well.......I would like to make my own texture to add to him, and I have heard that UV texturing is what I am after. Could somebody point me in the right direction where I can get started? I have looked everywhere with little success.

Thanks!

# 2 25-10-2003 , 06:05 PM
Subscriber
Download some tutorials from the VIP section ;-)

grrrr
# 3 25-10-2003 , 08:18 PM
Subscriber
Isn't there anywhere I can go to find this out without having to pay £14 for the points to afford it??

It's not that I don't intend to buy points at some time - it's just I would rather learn the basics and then spend my points on something a little more advanced.

So......any other advice?

# 4 25-10-2003 , 09:29 PM
Subscriber

# 5 26-10-2003 , 12:17 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the help Witchy user added image

I had actually just found and watched that video tut before you posted that, and I had just about managed to texture one my persons hands the good ol' fashioned way user added image. But that tool you mentioned is great! That will save a lot of time.

Thanks again user added image

# 6 26-10-2003 , 01:37 AM
Subscriber
I seem to be having a problem in the UV Texture Editor window. I have just layed out the UV's of the face so that none of them are overlapping. When I try to move this to the top-right of the grid for the snapshot, all of the UV points in the shell just collapse to a straight line if I drag an axis using the move tool, or just to a single point if I try to move it freely.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

# 7 26-10-2003 , 02:16 AM
The Maya Mountain
Sounds like you have some kind of snapping turned on.

# 8 26-10-2003 , 02:26 AM
Subscriber
Oh yeah, so I did. It works fine now user added image

And mtmckinley, GREAT work on that polygon texturing tutorial by the way! Without that, I would probably still be utterly confused.

# 9 26-10-2003 , 05:57 AM
The Maya Mountain
Glad it helped. user added image