Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 02-04-2010 , 10:19 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Well admin could generate them and stick a load on a thread at least then we'd know they are from the generator

J

# 17 02-04-2010 , 10:22 PM
19 year Veteran
@ mayaniac, There wouldn't me any measures to prevent people from choosing words they want; however, it might be obvious if someone did. The best thing to do would be to use a word generator and let it choose for you.

Jay, your idea is good!

Last edited by THX1138; 02-04-2010 at 10:25 PM.
# 18 02-04-2010 , 10:34 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by THX1138
It would most likely be from a word generator
elephantinc.

I know, I was joking...

# 19 02-04-2010 , 11:31 PM
Subscriber
I remember a while back doing a rube goldberg machine, another one of those would be fun, using just dynamics no animating.

# 20 03-04-2010 , 10:30 AM
Subscriber
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mayaniac
I have a crap load of ideas running through my head with the old two words "Fence/Armchair". lol

Don`t knock it till you try it.

Originally posted by Rhetoric Camel I remember a while back doing a rube goldberg machine, another one of those would be fun, using just dynamics no animating.

But that`s no good - what we need is a challenge where you can use any part of Maya you want.

Apart from the two word thing some other idea`s

All could be done realistic or cartoon

Mt Olympus (Greek Mythology)

With all the "Clash of the titans", "God of War 3" and Harry Potter rip off "Pee Wee and Lighting Thief" (Lets face it - that's what it should have been called) - Greek Gods are so "IN" right now.

You could have Low poly/High poly, Characters, Busts, beasts/titans, ,buildings (cities even) weapons, animation, dynamics and particles.

Wild West (Classic or Sci - Fi)

Again everything could be done with this one , Guns, Native Americans, Cowboys/girls, Wagon Carts (Even on fire) Horses, Saloons, 8ft Talking horse with shot gun (Oh wait thats been done) - Like to see a good shot out animation or a bar fight ect...

Attached Thumbnails

# 21 03-04-2010 , 11:45 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by tweetytunes

Don`t knock it till you try it.

I wasn't. I actually had a few ideas.

Originally posted by tweetytunes

Mt Olympus (Greek Mythology)

With all the "Clash of the titans", "God of War 3" and Harry Potter rip off "Pee Wee and Lighting Thief" (Lets face it - that's what it should have been called) - Greek Gods are so "IN" right now.

You could have Low poly/High poly, Characters, Busts, beasts/titans, ,buildings (cities even) weapons, animation, dynamics and particles.

Love it!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 22 03-04-2010 , 02:30 PM
19 year Veteran
Those themes are great tweetytunes, and they do cater to all skill levels. The only thing about it would be the "Theme". I don't want to be stuck with a specific theme I really don't care for. If the theme went greek or western/sci-fi, I would probably pass as I don't really care for those at this time.

I would rather stick with a theme thats a bit closer to my liking. Catering to all skill levels is great, sticking a "theme" with that kinda sucks, but thats just my opinion.

Lest stick with themes we can choose our selves.

# 23 03-04-2010 , 02:36 PM

Those themes are great tweetytunes, and they do cater to all skill levels. The only thing about it would be the "Theme". I don't want to be stuck with a specific theme I really don't care for. If the theme went greek or western/sci-fi, I would probably pass as I don't really care for those at this time.

I would rather stick with a theme thats a bit closer to my liking. Catering to all skill levels is great, sticking a "theme" with that kinda sucks, but thats just my opinion.

Lest stick with themes we can choose our selves.

Yeah, but you can't expect any 'theme' comp to cater to everyones likes, so some compromises would need to be made.

But I think the two word idea might solves this problem, as there is no really 'theme' just the limits of your imagination.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 24 03-04-2010 , 03:02 PM
19 year Veteran

But I think the two word idea might solves this problem, as there is no really 'theme' just the limits of your imagination.

Well, with the 2 word idea, you still come up with your own theme. Nobody is restricted to the same type of theme, no matter what skill levels it's open to. Thats kinda what happened to the avatar challenge, except it catered to the advanced user.

It would also be cool go back to the "Advanced" and "Noob" catagories. Those were judged separately, and where really great for the ones new to CG and Maya.

# 25 03-04-2010 , 05:26 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

It would also be cool go back to the "Advanced" and "Noob" catagories. Those were judged separately, and where really great for the ones new to CG and Maya.

Problem with that is that it throws up the problem of which category does someone fit in to.

# 26 03-04-2010 , 06:18 PM
19 year Veteran
The noob category was for the ones just breaking into maya. Having very little experience with the tools.

The advanced category was for the ones that already had experience with the tools ( modeling and texturing and rendering ).

EDIT: From the fantastic work I have seen from you, I would categorize you as advanced. user added image

Last edited by THX1138; 03-04-2010 at 06:21 PM.
# 27 03-04-2010 , 06:45 PM
I guess it would be up to the person entering if they entered as a 'noob', or 'advanced' depending on what they're comfortable with.

As for the list of word pairs that would be posted, would that be on a "first come first served" basis, so you wont have 5 contestants using the same two words?

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 28 03-04-2010 , 07:55 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yeah, you could have a list that people take whichever item they want, leaving it unavailable, first come first serve as you say. I like that idea.

# 29 03-04-2010 , 08:11 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I think you'd be best of having excess words so someone isn't put off entering because they've been left with a pair they don't want.

# 30 03-04-2010 , 08:20 PM

Originally posted by elephantinc
I think you'd be best of having excess words so someone isn't put off entering because they've been left with a pair they don't want.

Oh yeah, you would probably have about 20 pairs... I doubt they'll be that many contestants. So everyone will have some choice.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"