Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 30-04-2011 , 02:12 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

April Challenge Final Entries

Hey All

Place your final images or vids in here, once the bell tolls!! Can you put your final poly counts in too cheers!!

good luck to all

Jay

# 2 30-04-2011 , 05:34 PM
Subscriber
i figure it's still fine for me to post my entry!

my entry is mewtwo, from the pokemon game from back when it first came out. It's a genetically recreated pokemon based on mew and has super powerful psychic powers.
In this remake i've given him armour that he can transform into a plane-like thing.

i'm posting two renders, and a composition of screen shots with the high quality renderer on.
I'm also posting two videos, one of the transformation and one of a playblast. My video capturing software doesn't seem to want to work, but i figure a playblast is the same thing.

sorry if this is an excessive amount of stuff and that the videos are super fast... it was quite annoying getting all the keyframes to be happy without screwing lots up.

This model is 8846 polygons.

https://simplymaya.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1304184144https://simplymaya.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1304184144

YouTube - transforming armoured mewtwo

YouTube - mewtwo transformer posed

Attached Thumbnails

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 30-04-2011 at 05:37 PM.
# 3 30-04-2011 , 10:03 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Well managed to finish off something decent....hope you guys like it as well.
I wanted to model the whole scenery( green pipes and all that tosh user added image ), but didn't have the time to make that.
everything is handpainted ( i have inserted an image with the original ZSculpt, I am especially fond of the way the helmet turned out) except the handle for the pickaxe there I used a woodbitmap.
Polycount is in the upperleft corner

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 30-04-2011 , 10:11 PM
Subscriber
YouTube - aya.divx

This is mine - based of the Square-soft game Parasite Eve. In the game she was a very blocky - over sexed up and did not represent of a new york cop. I went for a much more realistic cop look while not making look like a sub character. I also kept the weapon combo from the game, but also added the radio, handcuffs and some bullet clips.

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/Game/Final.jpg

Although I had a flying start that was soon eaten up with some trouble with stress this month (over the job interview at the mill) and had to get away to my parents this month. Then I found out the game 3rd Birthday on the PSP was Parasite eve 3 but because of the loss of the rights of the name Square-soft had to rename it and did alot of updating with the same ideas as mine.

But I am glad I did not give up. Wish now I had gotten the texturing finished (boots and belt items not 100%) and wish I had the time to have skinned and posed it.

But at 11060 poly`s I am really happy with it. I am really glad I nailed the hair early on as I think it would not have been possible with out cracking it.

Rendered with software render with 4 lights. The model was rendered using just button 1 (no objects level 3) - none of my Zbrush work made it was I still not up to speed with the whole process. Got one texture at 4080x4080 - was going to do a spec map aswell but time beat me to it.

Packing up my PC now as going back home now but will carry on with this project once I`m back.

Loved this challenge, thx for all the support - good luck all.

Tweety

Last edited by tweetytunes; 30-04-2011 at 10:18 PM.
# 5 30-04-2011 , 10:49 PM
Subscriber
Here is my final design for my entry.
The Game character of my choice is “Toejam and Earl from the 1992 SEGA game “Toejam and Earl: Panic on Funkotron” I took their original alien design and gave them a more modern look using styles inspired from “Pokemon” and “Ratchet and Clank”.

In this design, Both Toejam and Earl are enrolled in an acadamy which trains students to become “Human Hunters”. It seems that humans are running loose on their planet again and its up to Toejam and Earl to pool their wits and skill to catch them and send them back to earth.

I had a blast with this project, and I hope there will be many more like it.

Good luck to all....there are some great pieces out there

Final polycount is 12214

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 30-04-2011 , 11:52 PM
Subscriber
Congrats Guys!
Everyone did it really well!
I almost gave up this evening. Maya was quitting every time when i switched off template mode. I tried to delete some parts but 2011 did not want to work.
Fortunately 2009 working good user added image

I took the idea from the sheep dog & wolf playstaion game. After i started modelling i found a new 3d Road Runner cartoon in Hd, so i made some printscreen for references. After I finished the low poly model, I made a UV, than smoothed every part. I painted him in Mudbox than corrected some parts in Photoshop.

Thats the short story.

Here re some pictures & a video of the model:

YouTube - 2.mp4

The Final model has 15850 poly with a 1024 huge body texture.

Later, I am going to post some fur pictures in the wip.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 01-05-2011 , 12:35 AM
Super Moderator
Wow some really good stuff here. Good job guys user added image

- Genny
# 8 01-05-2011 , 01:43 AM
Subscriber
Wow all the final entries pulled out all the stops! All of them look great!

Here's my final model for the reimagined robot companion for Robotrek. Total polycount 12360.

First completed SimplyMaya Challenge for me. I feel like I hit a significant personal milestone.

Attached Thumbnails

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 9 01-05-2011 , 02:30 AM
EduSciVis-er
# 10 01-05-2011 , 07:15 AM
Unser Joker
Sorry, wasn´t able to texture completly....
Faces:3076
---Peace---
-Don't know why my picture doesn't show up....

Mein Blog : https://eyegrafix.blogspot.com/

Last edited by eye_grafix; 01-05-2011 at 07:19 AM.
# 11 01-05-2011 , 12:37 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
Here's my final wish i could have done more but ran out of time

Poly count= 5200

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 02-05-2011 , 07:16 AM
A lot of sweet entries! Good luck everyone!