Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 12-08-2010 , 07:33 PM

Horror Challenge

Hey guys, let’s get a challenge going!

Clallenge Theme - Horror
Model and texture a character that would be seen in a horror film or game, comic etc, think Hellraiser, Jason, Freddie, Resident Evil, Silent Hill etc.

The character can be humanoid, animal or whatever you fancy, just make him/her/it mean!

The character can be a bust or full/part, can be low, mid or high poly. If you want to add a background in there go for it but it’s the character that’s the main focus.

Texturing is allowed as well and any scenery that you may want to add, although the main focus of the challenge is the model.

Software -
Any welcome, though all work must be yours, from scratch, post up regular progress pictures so that we can see a development of the model.

Time -
2 Months (and a bit) so the deadline is 16th October 10pm GMT

A week before the deadline I will set up a final entry thread, post the final entry in here as well as any other shots that you want to show off your model, but keep to a single "presentation pose".

Results -
Via a poll for all finished entries, so you guys will be voting for what you like the most.

Any questions with the above please post them here and I will answer them.

To Enter

To enter create a thread with your name and Horror Challenge, so for example the thread subject for me would be

gster123 - Horror Challenge

Post your progress/development in here for comments and crits from other members.

I have set up a reference sticky for some ideas.

Prize!
THe winner of the competition gets $100 USD from Simply Maya as well as a shiney winners medal to post in their signature.

Lets get it on and good luck to all!

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 2 12-08-2010 , 09:15 PM
EduSciVis-er
# 3 12-08-2010 , 10:22 PM
Hey Steve, good to see you've got things going again in the challenge area!

Loving the theme, I've been away from the forums for a while but you've just enticed me back.....

Will be working quite a bit over the next couple of weeks, but will try to get something started and a thread going soon.

# 4 12-08-2010 , 11:07 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Nice.

Will get a thread up once I have my concept down.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 5 12-08-2010 , 11:29 PM
19 year Veteran
Not that it really matters anymore, but what happened to the random word themed challenge we agreed on back in april?

# 6 13-08-2010 , 12:35 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
I have an interesting idea. I'm pretty busy with university application stuff but I might have time (I do want a nice piece to be able to show any interviewers, so this might fit the bill nicely).
We'll see, two month is quite a while....

# 7 13-08-2010 , 05:02 AM
Lifetime Member
Well done steve....hope to see some good work and some good concepts from you guys....I will be watching.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 8 13-08-2010 , 07:55 AM
Glad to see theres people up for it!

Think I will enter too.

Originally posted by THX1138
Not that it really matters anymore, but what happened to the random word themed challenge we agreed on back in april?

I'll hold my hands up and tell the truth, I completly forgot about the discussion, sorry.

elephant - I put the two months so people can get it finished, one month challenges (and battles) seem to be too tight on times, you can always finish it sooner.

It may be two months but it flies past if your grabbing a couple of hours here and there.

# 9 13-08-2010 , 08:36 AM
The thin red line
Sitting this one out but are there any meshes for newbies to join in?.............good luck..........dave

# 10 13-08-2010 , 08:46 AM
Subscriber
Cool I`m in

Just one thing - Existing characters OK or just your own designs

# 11 13-08-2010 , 09:06 AM
Yeah existing characters are fine and dandy!

No meshes to start Dave.

# 12 13-08-2010 , 01:42 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
I have a few sculpting base-meshes floating around if people feel they need a jump start.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 13 13-08-2010 , 10:21 PM
The thin red line
I know there is no prize mentioned but a possible entry to the gallery if the winner deamed of good quality....just a thought..........dave

# 14 15-08-2010 , 02:20 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
Im in working on the concepts will post on this soon

# 15 15-08-2010 , 02:37 AM
Lifetime Member
I will post some time today.........still workin on what is easy for me to do as I will be doing the head Tut as a ref....

Still trying to figure out a character...or whether to do my own. An existing one will probably be quicker? Ive never done this before.

cheers bullet

Ok I cant really find anything that stands out (not a horror fan). So I will post when I have designed a 'Black Slayer" from Sethanon. I will have to re-read the book a bit LOL. To get the character definition.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 15-08-2010 at 06:37 AM.