Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 03-05-2011 , 02:23 AM
Subscriber

Congrats on the full set. Gold, Silver and Bronze first time its happened.

Dave user added image

dango has all three user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 17 03-05-2011 , 02:25 AM
SM Tea Boy

dango has all three user added image

Ah making the administrator of the site feel like an idiot, guess what you win user added image

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 18 03-05-2011 , 02:48 AM
Subscriber
Congradulations to the winners and great job to everyone who entered!

@Mastone: I appreciate the constructive critisizm. I've dabbled with getting into modeling way back in 2004 but it never took and so I stopped. Finally I came to the conclusion that although I might not make it a career I want to be great at this. So around 2009 I picked up Maya (it was the one my friend introduced me to) and have been pushing to learn all I can.

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 19 03-05-2011 , 06:26 AM
Subscriber
OMG!!! I actually cant believe I won!!
I honestly thought that stwert had this one.
Congrats to tweetytunes and Stwert
Thanks guys......drinks on me tonight!

@mastone: I understand what your saying. I repect your opinion but I do think you are being a bit unfair. I did indeed follow criteria.
"...I would like to see a new take or look of a game character of your choice that is already out there, you can style it/make it into whatever you like...."
I feel, I did exactly that.......and i did made it clear what I was planning to do in my thread. I even provided concept sketches on the final look of the characters before I even touched Maya. Even you yourself you had no issues. why didnt you voiced your concern at that initial stage?
Why wait till after the results?

"From Concept to Completion"
# 20 03-05-2011 , 08:11 AM
Subscriber

Even you yourself you had no issues. why didnt you voiced your concern at that initial stage?
Why wait till after the results?

I think its because of an overall standard not just yours mate - I don`t think its a personal attack.

While I see many points in your post Mastone (I myself have felt in the past some rules were not followed, Steam-punk and Virtual city challenges are two that stick in my head), what Jay said were examples of idea`s of re-design.

Take transformers - OP is still 1) Leader (or ends up as it) 2) Red/Blue mix in color 3) Becomes a form of truck. Although there have been many different takes on that character now - in the end just a new costume. And it is there in the first line of the quote you used from Jay "I would like to see a new take or look of a game character of your choice that is already out there.

I thought Stwert`s won because he got 2 characters fused together and got a really cool final image. Although Rocky put a lot into his final image - I thought (like you) that it was just a change of cloths for the characters and not that cool as a re-design, but the work was spot on (really nice texture work and setup for final character), so for me Stwert came on top.

Chirone did put a lot of thought into changing the concept of his idea and did put a lot of thought into his idea and entered a entry he should be very proud off. I am surprised we did not see any sex-changed ideas as that has been talked about a lot on the different threads. But I think many of us saw the words "New Look" and went a different way to how you saw it, but it was apart of the rules.

There was many good ideas this month - just wished some more work was done on some entries, myself included and most of all - it was fun, with lots of support from everyone - which makes us all winners in the end - arrrrrrrr group hug.

Thankfully the next one has little rules and a lovly prize - so lets all get cracking.....

Ah making the administrator of the site feel like an idiot, guess what you win user added image

Dave user added image

Glad I did not have time to say it now - Hehe - But I still think I`m the first with 4 wins

Tweety

Last edited by tweetytunes; 03-05-2011 at 08:19 AM.
# 21 03-05-2011 , 09:30 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
tweety; so modest mate....love it.

The judging is difficult on these things for sure.

and if I may. With regards to these challenges, the results are what they are and as the judges see fit at that time. It a competition. As with every forum we cant please every single person, but we do like to think we cater for most abilties and give a fair trial to those in the challenges.

nuff said on the matter.

next challenge is up so get in there!!!

Jay

# 22 03-05-2011 , 11:39 AM
Subscriber

tweety; so modest mate....love it.

What it`s ture - I never thought mine was going to place - I had almost two weeks off as I sulked off to wales after not getting the job - But I`m so going to win the next one HEHEHEHE

# 23 03-05-2011 , 12:45 PM
Congratulations on all who finished and especially to Rocky user added image I thought Tweety was going to edge this one though a few weeks ago, although i never saw final entries until now.

Gutted I didnt have time to finish yet another comp. user added image Hopefully the next 1 I can. user added image

# 24 03-05-2011 , 01:43 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

...and i did made it clear what I was planning to do in my thread. I even provided concept sketches on the final look of the characters before I even touched Maya. Even you yourself you had no issues. why didnt you voiced your concern at that initial stage?
Why wait till after the results?..

Just a few short words and then I think it's best to leave it be, okay?
As Tweety rightly quessed it isn't personal( to anyone, judges and participants alike) and as an artpiece yours was the best;lighting staging and final composition and design were supreme ( not to say the amount of work you put in), when compared to the rest, but it didn't feel like a redesign ( at least not me )which has nothing to do with the quality of work you have displayed.
It's like holding a modeling competition and in the end being judged based on a final render

I haven't questioned it because I only looked at the challenge outline on friday when I picked my own project up again and because of time constraints focussed on the main criteria( or my interpretation of them).

But again just leave this be