Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 03-05-2011 , 04:46 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

Original photo is not required. Interpretations are allowed it could be a stylized version of what you remember as your favorite toy.

-But it has to look like a toy right? ( I mean shading wise)
-So it has to stay in the real? ( no aliens kicking earth around ...)

This challenge is about the model. It must be textured and lit but the environment it's in will not count in the judging.
A turntable of the finished model is also encouraged but not required.
Think something like this.

-So basically toy refers to toy as in the model not the topic/keyword ,so you can make a lego castle, but not a baby sitting in the middle of a city playing with skyscrapers as if it were his boxes to play with?

Again sorry for being a pain, but better safe than sorry

# 17 03-05-2011 , 06:06 PM
SM Tea Boy

Can I model a plastercine model that I made? I want to model 'plastercine' but just modelling a block of it would be a bit boring.

Yes this would be fine interesting take on the challenge actually user added image

David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 18 03-05-2011 , 06:13 PM
SM Tea Boy

-But it has to look like a toy right? ( I mean shading wise)
-So it has to stay in the real? ( no aliens kicking earth around ...)

Has to be a real toy yes. You could try for photorealism or go for a more toon shader style, we leave that to you.

-So basically toy refers to toy as in the model not the topic/keyword ,so you can make a lego castle, but not a baby sitting in the middle of a city playing with skyscrapers as if it were his boxes to play with?

A Lego castle would be fine if Lego is your favorite toy form childhood then just modeling a Lego brick would be pretty boring user added image

And yes it's an actual toy we want.

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 19 03-05-2011 , 06:23 PM
SM Tea Boy

Second thoughts on entering... 2 months is too long for me and the prizes are too major... I know, sounds crazy. I'll cheer everyone on from the sidelines user added image.

It does sound crazy lol just join in at the end of month 1 user added image there is no start date

Dave user added image

# 20 03-05-2011 , 06:38 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
stwert get in there mate

Jay

# 21 03-05-2011 , 06:44 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

That's a cool idea elephantinc... I think it would hinge on getting the shader just right.

That's the fun. I want to work on my rendering.
I'm in then.

# 22 03-05-2011 , 06:45 PM
EduSciVis-er
Haha... if inspiration hits, maybe I'll put together an entry. When I'm in a challenge, I tend to put all the other projects and tutorials and things on hold, which I want to get working on at some point user added image
So dedicating 2 whole months to a single project is a lot. I know I don't have to, but I know my tendencies pretty well, a) I'm competitive, b) bigger prizes, more pressure, c) I prefer doing it for fun and learning d) if I get bogged down with a project, I tend to procrastinate rather than switch projects or push through...
Okay, enough life story and psychoanalysis... if inspiration hits, I'll maybe submit an entry. user added image

# 23 03-05-2011 , 06:50 PM
Unser Joker
I'm in to - I really like the idea of modeling a toy - really great.
And with this prices there will be a lot of entries - this could be real fun :-).
---Peace---

Mein Blog : https://eyegrafix.blogspot.com/
# 24 03-05-2011 , 10:52 PM
Lifetime Member
I will see how I go...as a bush baby my toy was a stick...LOL...now thats a good model

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 25 03-05-2011 , 10:55 PM
Subscriber
you should do a plush kangaroo and i'll do the wooden buzzy bee :p

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 26 03-05-2011 , 11:10 PM
Lifetime Member
bahahahah chirone...thats a good idea....sadly the only roo's I had as a kid in the bush...were on the BBQ...he he he he

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 27 04-05-2011 , 01:02 AM
Super Moderator
Did a blog post about this new challenge and the previous one user added image. Also I'm asking, RockyMills, Tweety, and Stwert if I can add their images in the post instead of just links to the forum. Hopefully they see this.

- Genny
# 28 04-05-2011 , 01:09 AM
EduSciVis-er
# 29 04-05-2011 , 01:03 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Ahh pity Im not allowed to enter this is a great challenge. I would have modelled my old thunderbird 2 die-cast toy by dinky toys, complete with plastic Thunderbird 4!!

Jay

# 30 04-05-2011 , 01:20 PM
Lifetime Member
Thunderbirds...ssssssswwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttt tttttttttt

bullet1968