Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 46 06-07-2011 , 10:25 AM
Subscriber
I hear what your saying to a point there THX, but giving Dave gave that image in the opening thread I think that's what most people went for. Me personally do not think its a bad thing (I went for photo like to improve my skills -why I take part in these challenges in the first place), but what I have found makes the entries stand out this time round is not so much the realism but if the models look like toys that would be played with and made in Maya/Lightwave to a good standard.

snl678`s (TOY GUNDAM) is the only entry I would say went to far to make look real - The renders of that model look so much better with out the dog. He has done a fantastic job on the model and textures (I normally hate gundam models), but that photo is very weak.

Daveido (Buzz lightyear) is one I don`t like as a toy - Again as a model fantastic looks just like him, but for me it screams character not toy.

I did have a top 3 but them the lightwave entries were posted so at mo its - joshpurple (robosapien) - Makes me want one, puneet.3d (He-Man) Everyone knows my love of 80`s toys but the model is fantastic (plus he did the 2009 version so lets me off), lightmod (moster truck) although I don`t like the first image with the mud, great renders, s2-speedy (turtles) Again looks like toys I would want to go out and get, final image looks like a toy ad.

But saying that there is no entry here this time round that does not deserve there maker holding their head up high - fantastic set of images, can only do great things for the site. - well done all

Last edited by tweetytunes; 06-07-2011 at 02:33 PM.
# 47 06-07-2011 , 12:55 PM
Subscriber
good points thx and tweety, I have thought similar. The 'toy-ness' of He-Man jumps out, and the playfulness of some of the other entries, like the lego pirate ship, and the train set, make me want to see the toys in real life. But then,....tch...i dont know.... they all have so much thats good about them, and people have their own reasons, outside of the focus and rules set by the initial challenge, to chose certain methods and software that they're interested in improving their skills and knowledge in - and they really are all winners in that respect. It's a shame in a way the 500 dollars cant just be split between everyone who entered.

# 48 06-07-2011 , 05:28 PM

_

i liked the work of "iv01" .
it's so awesome that every piece is individual and you can create what ever you imagine not only that toy it is now !
user added image

# 49 06-07-2011 , 07:36 PM
Lifetime Member
each and every entry is standing somewhere in the competition. But i hope these all are not only for 500$ but for the love of toys and CG field too. user added image This is my first online competition. I was just checking my inbox and saw a mail from simply maya with a Toy challenge in it and started modeling the He-Man. user added image and yes thank God i am not a judge. user added image .. but if i would be a judge then i would first go with quality and appeal in concept then i will see the amount of work done and technique in work. and in last i would love to see the complete set of work(like if there is a remote toy then remote should have modeled too.) cos i think any competition only meant for the 100% scoring rate in every aspect. user added image

# 50 06-07-2011 , 09:26 PM
every model i made are only for pleasure ) because it's my Hobby user added image but i also wanna grow in this direction and this kind of contest is great opportunity
BTW this is my second contest user added image

# 51 07-07-2011 , 12:20 AM
19 year Veteran
@ tweetytunes

I hear what your saying in regards to Buzz lightyear. I don't like the actual toy either, but I'd rather see him as the character buzz over a real toy any day, and thats probably what Daveido thought to.

I'm with ya on the gundam as well. There wasn't much thought about presentation, and it didn't help when he added the dog.

The he-man entry needed better lighting IMO, and it would have been cool if there was a pic of castle grey skull in the background to really sell the model.

lastly, I question some of the entries as a "favorite toy". The renders are amazing, but I highly doubt they were favorite toys. It's what this challenge is about, and those few people seemed to miss that point IMO.

@ Ben Hobden

The lego Pirate ship was very interesting, however, the lego water (to me at least ) was more intresting than the ship itself.

# 52 07-07-2011 , 04:21 AM
Thank You Tweetytunes user added image ! And Thank You THX & everyone! <-- especially for all of the excellent help & honest feedback so many users provided, very appreciated, -you guys are awesome! This has been an outstanding challenge, and I'm very glad to see so many people get their works in before the deadline. Brilliant works!

# 53 07-07-2011 , 04:51 AM
Thanks every one for your feedbacks... I realize I shouldn't have put the dog on the comp user added image now it looks odd. I really like the toy feel of He-man... which made me feel like my gundam wasnt at all toy look alike...
BTW i put the dog to make it have the sense of size and make it more toy like... but it came out to be crappy.
Since this is my first competition I am very much pleased just to be among the final entries... All the entries are really great...
Thanks again guys...

# 54 07-07-2011 , 05:06 AM
I think that all things look really good.. but we'll see what judges will say...
...every person had his own challenge (my challenge was to make picture just the same as photo that I took and to create everything in scale 1:1.. from light to the colours and materials..)..... this was my first challenge and I enjoyed it a lot... thx to all ppl...

# 55 07-07-2011 , 08:55 AM
Subscriber

I'm with ya on the gundam as well. There wasn't much thought about presentation,

I think he put too much work into the presentation and ended up going the wrong way with it

I question some of the entries as a "favorite toy". The renders are amazing, but I highly doubt they were favorite toys.

I`m so with you on that

The lego Pirate ship was very interesting, however, the lego water (to me at least ) was more intresting than the ship itself.

I am not a fan of cg Lego - give me the real stuff any day.

Can I also say its nice to see so many new peeps enjoy their first challenge. Much more fun than just having the same old faces.

# 56 07-07-2011 , 09:34 AM

each and every entry is standing somewhere in the competition. But i hope these all are not only for 500$ but for the love of toys and CG field too.

Im sure most of us are here because of the love of CGI and the challenge was extremely fun to do whether there was a prize at the end or not. But looking at the number of entries compared to previous competitions I think more people entered due to the main prize as alot of new people joined. I assume the big prize was to attract more people to enter or encourage people to at least finish their models which can only be good for the simply sites and the standard of work is superb and probably the best challenge I've seen this year. TOYS ROCK! user added image

Well done everyone.

# 57 07-07-2011 , 10:12 AM
Lifetime Member
I agree with some of the points raised here for sure. There were a few entries that I think went a little too far past the 'toy' image. As for some not being fave toys...granted there might be a few but when you are as old as me and your toys (even the manufacturer) dont exist well I guess you go for what you can. For me..simplicity and nostalgia..otacon trike...daves war elephant. For 'toy' value...josh robosapien, speedy and turtles (loved that one), lightmods RC, puneets he-man, and tweety's Zelda game.

The quality and quanity was amazing...and agree, good to see some new faces around! I think EVERYONE who entered produced GREAT work man, this was truly an inspiring challenge to a lot of you and you ALL stepped up to bat. Well done to all of you! Sorry I didnt finish now! LOL....and I dont think the money in the end was the purpose of you guys...it developed into some serious competition but great comradery...a pearler as we say down south.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 58 07-07-2011 , 01:58 PM
Subscriber
@THX: absolutely. I found myself staring at it for a while trying to work out how it was/could have been put together... quite original. And the several shades of blue with white for the peaks was great. Great piece all round for me.

All: Re: the 'favouriteness' of the toy. I agree with Bullet, there could be so many factors as to what makes a favourite toy for someone. Me personally, when I considered entering I wondered what I could make. But I just dont own my fav toys anymore. They are long gone in the bin or at boot sales or wherever, and finding decent ref for them was hard. One of my favourite christmas presents ever was a Super Nintendo, but I didnt fancy that as a modelling excercise. So I think the title 'my favourite toy' is good as a jumping off point for people to take their particular cues from...it could be a very personal thing, and to judge someones entry on whether you believe it is actually their favourite toy could be a little harsh...

my two cents user added image

# 59 07-07-2011 , 02:30 PM
I dont think the title "favourite toy" should of be taken too seriously. I had loads of favourite toys as a kid - Mega Drive, Bikes, Skateboards, Action Figures, so I just went with what I thought would be cool to model and a challenge for me. My turtles were one of my favourites, but its hard to say it was my all time number 1 because kids always change their minds from one week to the next. So i think the judging may be more focused on the 3D aspect (modelling, lighting and Rendering) as apose to what the Toy is and if it really is their favourite toy. user added image

# 60 07-07-2011 , 04:21 PM
The thin red line
Like Bullet said in my day there was not a lot about toy wize, I think this has been a great comp and all the finalist deserve to be in it. $500 was not the factor for me but I would not say no who wouldnt. For me it was a model that I would like to do that when I remembered my old elephant. I was just glad I finish (not as good as I hoped but thats life)..............dave

Last edited by daverave; 07-07-2011 at 04:28 PM.