Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 01-12-2011 , 07:48 PM
Administrator

SimplyMaya December Challenge - Robots

https://simplymaya.com/images/tutoria...bots_challenge

One of our instructors on SimplyLightwave said a few months back that he wished there would have been more things on funny little robots out there when he got started with 3D so we figured that would make for a good challenge theme. Some ideas for inspiration would be Wall-E, Transformers, Iron Giant, Iron Man, Marwin, Android & Star Wars. You can use a pre-excisting concept that's already out there or create your own robot from scratch and use anything from the movies, household robots or make something up from your imagination. This challenge will run until January 5th so you'll have time to finish your robot over the holidays.

To join this challenge start a thread here called;
December Challenge - [your username]

https://simplymaya.com/images/tutoria...laneous/robots

Challenge Prize: 50 SimplyMaya Points & The Art of Wall-E Book

https://www.pixartalk.com/wp-content/...edigital11.jpg

# 2 01-12-2011 , 11:13 PM
Nice, sounds interesting!
I'll have to get thinking and see if I can come up with something I could do as an entry.

# 3 03-12-2011 , 04:48 AM
Subscriber
funny little robots?! awesome!
fully going to dream up of something

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 04-12-2011 , 10:44 PM
Just want to clarify one aspect of this challenge, that might get overlooked.
In the criteria at the start it mentions "funny little robots", I took this to mean it needs to have those aspects to the design.
But the title doesn't include that, the examples include transformers (which are neither funny or little) and IronMan (same applies) and with Davido going for a robot like Cylons Centurion I wondered if the "funny little" part was just a comment, not part of the challenge and would not be taken into consideration at all.
Im not complaining at all, it's just I and another member have already misread what the criteria may be and wanted to double check this before proceeding with deciding on an idea to go with.

thanks,

Gavin

# 5 04-12-2011 , 11:13 PM
Subscriber
I actually read the title of this thread as "Simply Maya December Challenge - Funny Little Robots"
but then I probably read the title after reading the description since I just saw a new challenge was posted.

I interpreted 'funny little' to mean comical and not a serious fighting thing, or even a chibi version of an existing robot. Also based that judgement on the images in the post. They seem to be more comical characters.
I just ignored the iron man reference since he's not a robot.

I dreamt up of an awesome idea too with a little robot doing something funny.

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 6 05-12-2011 , 01:31 AM
Administrator
It's intended as an all-inclusive broad theme, so that more people can join the challenge regardless of skill level, time-constraints and personal taste. We added some images and mentioned a few movies to give people ideas to get started from, the style comes down to what you'd like to make user added image

Anything that fits into the wikipedia robot definition goes;

"A robot is a mechanical or virtual intelligent agent that can perform tasks automatically or with guidance, typically by remote control. In practice a robot is usually an electro-mechanical machine that is guided by computer and electronic programming. Robots can be autonomous, semi-autonomous or remotely controlled. Robots range from humanoids such as ASIMO and TOPIO to Nano robots, Swarm robots, Industrial robots, mobile and servicing robots..."

Cleaning Cat uses iRobot Roomba 560 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner. - YouTube

Iron Man 2 Movie Clip: The Mark V Suit - YouTube

Wall-E is GANGSTA! - YouTube

Robot SW unit - modeling and texturing reel on Vimeo

# 7 05-12-2011 , 01:54 AM
That's great, thanks for clarifying that.
I wasn't really thinking of anything except Robots but then I saw your link that you posted the other day in the New challenge ideas thread, and you named it "new challenge - making funny robots". It threw me a bit, so I looked back in the first post about the challenge and saw it there too, making me think that was the criteria being asked for.
Anyhow, thanks for clearing that up, I can broaden my idea range a bit now!

Cheers,

Gavin

# 8 05-12-2011 , 03:13 AM
Administrator
Aha, sorry about the confusion I'll change that now. Must have been in the funny mood the other day user added image

# 9 05-12-2011 , 10:46 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
What a fantastic Challenge!! I really hope to see some good stuff on this one people!!!!

Jay

# 10 29-12-2011 , 08:33 PM
Administrator
A question for everyone in this challenge, would you like an extra week to finish things up? Since it's only six days left and new year's eve with big headache coming it might be difficult to find spare time I'm thinking.

# 11 29-12-2011 , 08:51 PM
Lifetime Member
I would really like to see everyone get their models completed if not their entire scenes I know things have been crazy with the holidays but I would encourage everyone to get on the ball now.

School starts back up for most of us right after the new year, work meetings start to pick up again and everyone gets grumpy user added image trying to keep all those resolutions to be at the gym and crazy strict diets and what have you.

I wont say no to the extra week but I doubt I will be able to take advantage of it with the baby on the way. At my wife's apt. today the Dr. said she could come anytime within the next two weeks.

- Jake
# 12 29-12-2011 , 09:40 PM
Subscriber
for some reason i thought the deadline was jannuary the 1st...
i dont think i need an extra week. so that's a no from me as well.

that said, i don't really mind

Last edited by Chirone; 29-12-2011 at 09:50 PM.
# 13 29-12-2011 , 09:48 PM
Subscriber
I wouldn't mind an extra week. Hope to be able finishing the modeling before the end of next week. With that extra week I could try and get my model in to some sort of pose. So and extra week would be sweet for me and if not I'll still be able to finisch the modeling and make a final image.

# 14 30-12-2011 , 10:16 AM
Some extra time would be nice. I'm hoping that I can finish until the 5th, but some more time would definately give me the chance to make a nice pose and perfect the renders! user added image

For some Maya tips, tutorials and personal insights, nice images etc, check out my blog
https://rencsenyidavid.com/blog
# 15 30-12-2011 , 12:27 PM
I'd also appreciate some extra time if possible, I'm loving the challenge but just not getting enough time to do much at the moment, I'll hopefully have a couple of afternoons to spend on it next week though.
Some really cool models being created on this one!