Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 01-03-2012 , 10:48 PM
Administrator

New Challenge - Things that fly

Time for a new challenge, the theme this time is things that fly so it can be mechanical flying machines or any other things found in the sky. Examples would be airplanes, helicopters, air balloons, space vehicles, insects, kites, birds, butterflies, dragons, angels and so on...

The theme is open for interpretation so your creation can be a detailed hard surface or organic model for a still or you can focus on animation/dynamics if you'd rather do that and create a simulation of swirling dust, papers, balloons or similar things. So up to you what interests you more and which field you'd like to concentrate on.

Challenge duration is 6 weeks, so March 1st - April 15th.
The prize in this challenge is a book, The Art of Up by Tim Hauser.

For some inspiration...
The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore (2011) - YouTube

To join this challenge start a thread here called;

Flying Challenge - Your Username

# 2 04-03-2012 , 02:06 AM
Acid44
Just curious; having a friend paint textures would be a no-no, right?

# 3 04-03-2012 , 09:32 AM
Subscriber
Miss nova did say In the ideas thread u could team up, but you would have to completely honest on what you did and what they did for it to sit well with me. As long as thats done I dont see why not

# 4 04-03-2012 , 11:39 AM
Acid44
Well, yeah, no point in lying about anything. But I suppose for that to be the case, it would have to be a member here teaming up with me?

# 5 04-03-2012 , 08:17 PM
Subscriber
I would think they should have some presence in your thread. So they could be a totally new member, but still a member.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 04-03-2012 , 11:21 PM
Acid44
Hmm. I think I'll just do the texturing myself, and have him paint a livery afterwards, seems simpler

# 7 05-03-2012 , 12:10 AM
Administrator

Hmm. I think I'll just do the texturing myself, and have him paint a livery afterwards, seems simpler

Sounds like a good idea lazy bum user added image The intention was that if anyone wanted to do a collaborative project on the forum they could but we know you love texturing so you'll do well on your own.

Nilla

# 8 05-03-2012 , 12:34 AM
Acid44
Haha, if I knew how to do anything in Photoshop, I might like texturing. I can't even make a curved line user added image

# 9 05-03-2012 , 12:47 AM
Subscriber
one wonders how you did all your wall papers then

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 10 05-03-2012 , 12:54 AM
Acid44
You'd be amazed at the amount of brushes you can get for Photoshop, that and I know how to chage colours of things. That's about it, really user added image

# 11 05-03-2012 , 10:47 PM

Progress updates...

Do we have to upload the pictures of our progress in modelling? Bec, i am busy at this time and dont know if i can finish a project. But im trying user added image So is it ok if i post a picture when i complete?

# 12 05-03-2012 , 11:15 PM
Subscriber
You have to upload your progress as you go. It helps everyone know that you didn't just buy a model last minute and enter that. As far as I know that's the rules of every competition like this everywhere user added image

There are a lot of entries where the person hasn't completed and so they just have a whole lot of uncomplete screen shots and renders, if that was your concern.

Even if you don't finish someone might give you a helpful tip or feedback, so all is not a loss.

# 13 06-03-2012 , 01:55 AM
Yea i see. I already have unfinished project on the forums... Didn't wanted to make a bad impression : / ok ill post it than...

# 14 06-03-2012 , 01:59 AM
Subscriber
you wouldn't be the first (or the thousandth even) to have lots of unfinished projects on here user added image

# 15 06-03-2012 , 02:16 AM
EduSciVis-er
Ha, we should get medals for finishing projects!