Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 16-03-2004 , 02:26 PM

beginner question mental ray -animation

How can I make an animation with the mental ray renderer? I can't select AVI on the mental ray render global settings....so is there another way?

# 2 16-03-2004 , 02:44 PM
render as tiffs and then put them together in an app like after effects, premier or the free one that is kicking around. Check the sticky at the top of this forum it has something aboot rendering movies.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 16-03-2004 , 02:50 PM
Thanks I'll try that.
Is there an explanation why I can't select .avi on the mental ray render globals?

# 4 16-03-2004 , 02:53 PM
mental ray doesnt support it? user added image I dont know mate, rendring to an avi from maya is a bad idea anyway. I always go out as tiffs and then bring them back together. Why I hear you ask: Because lets say you render it out and your compression is crappy and you'd like to up it a bit.... if you have rendered as a movie you're screwed. Because you'd have to re-render it again. If you do it as tiffs then all you have to do is launch premier and fire it back out again at a different compression. There is also the argument that you end up with enough artifacts in your renders as is, why introduce more at the rendering stage by using compression?

Hope that answers your question.

user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 16-03-2004 , 02:56 PM
editsorry doublepost

# 6 16-03-2004 , 02:58 PM
Subscriber
Mental ray doesnt support it.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...