Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 28-06-2005 , 10:22 AM

McLaren F1, My First Real Project

Hello Everyone, This is my first post on this site, so here it goes. I've been working on a McLaren F1 for a school project for an animation contest and I need some help on it. I'm 16 years old and pretty much self taught in Maya. I've read one book (Maya Fundamentals) and use the help in Maya sometimes, but needed some outside advice. Here's my car so far:

user added image
user added image

As you can see, most of my problems are with rendering. I can't create a good shader for the paint and I don't know how to use GI, FG, or HDRI to create a well lit scene. If any one could help me or give me any advice, it would be great, and I'll try to get more pictures up soon, once I work on interior a bit more. Thanks.

[img]www.cambunch.com/stuff/axsys.gif[/img]
# 2 28-06-2005 , 03:02 PM
I say you've got 1st place right there user added image Maybe you should make the wheels a bit wider though. I see the rear left wheel and it looks a bit too slim. Other than that, I'm no good at lighting or making shaders, so I say you've done a great job.

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 3 28-06-2005 , 07:30 PM
Subscriber
Yes, that is a good job. But something about the roof looks a little off to me. I think it is that it is not smooth anough. There seems to be to sharp of angles and does not apear to give a dome type affect. Sorry about the lighting though, I am no good for that. :shakehead

# 4 28-06-2005 , 08:24 PM
Subscriber
Nice model and a good shader on the body. The glass doesn't look right though. In fact, it doesn't look like there is any glass over the headlight area. I'm assuming the tires are racing tires as there is not tread, but aren't they wider?
Last, pt some to block off the fron intakes so that you can't see through to the axels.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 5 28-06-2005 , 09:08 PM
Thanks for all of your replies everyone I tried some of the stuff you mentioned. I widened all 4 tires a bit and it looks alot better, and yes, they are racing slicks for now, but I'm gonna turn them into road tires later. alienscience, does the roof look better now? i looked at it and saw a sharp edge through the middle that I never saw before. mhcannon, one of the problems that i'm having is that i can't make a good shader for the glass. Anyone have any tips for that? Thanks once again for your advice.

Pictures:
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 6 28-06-2005 , 09:29 PM
Subscriber
Is there any thickness to the glass? That might help. Aslo might want to go with limo black tint on the cab so that you can't tell there is no interior. The tires look much better wider.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

Last edited by mhcannon; 28-06-2005 at 09:31 PM.
# 7 29-06-2005 , 12:10 AM
Banned
holly crap, this is AWSOME user added image
Wow this modle rocks, hopefully i can modle like this soon user added image. Is this from the tutorial or your own work?
Nothing looks wrong dude, couldn't look beter! :bow:

# 8 29-06-2005 , 04:03 AM
mhcannon, the windows are not thick, just a plane thats shaped differently. i'll try to do some limo tint tomrrow and post how it goes. meredith, i followed the Ford Focus Tutorial Series by Alex (https://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/maya/car/) to model the body and learn to use subd's, but most of the other stuff was just creative thinking. this is a great tutorial to learn how to use subd's and to make a car.

# 9 28-07-2005 , 10:11 AM
well ive worked on my car a little bit more over the last week or so let me know what you think now:
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 10 28-07-2005 , 05:14 PM
Subscriber
Wow, tremendous progress on the lighting, and the glass shaders seems to be coming along nicely. One crit though, on the front picture, the reflection makes it seem as if the car and the windshield is one combined object, you might wanna move the glass a little into the car to make a ridge...

Otherwise, great job user added image

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 11 28-07-2005 , 06:50 PM
Those are some of the coolest renders I've seen for a car. How did you make the body paint shader? In my opinion, I think it's perfect user added image

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 12 28-07-2005 , 09:30 PM
blomkaal, ill try what you said for the glass. Shadeblade, i got the paint shader form a great tutorial you can find here. thanks for the input!

# 13 01-08-2005 , 03:55 PM
Subscriber
pretty sweet, the car has great lines

First year 3D Grad