Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 29-11-2006 , 05:40 PM

haw can I creat a sun + background?

like in this pic:

user added image

Id like to create a sun effect and like a sky background so behind my main focus its not an empty space

# 2 29-11-2006 , 06:50 PM
Subscriber
i expect it may be made with a prog like bryce and terrain(can remem spelling of it)

how ever u can make it in maya with a displacement map and a texture map
the advantage of using other prog is that it is slightly easier to do as they give u presets which u can examine and tweak

the lens flare can b done in maya but i would do it in post

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 3 06-12-2006 , 05:11 AM
Subscriber
Actually, I would recomend bump maps over displacement maps. All that little geometry getting formed? Ick, thats just way to much polygons. And depending on your skill level, maybe downloading a shader is best, that way you can get that glossy look and the snow as well. You really need to be good to acheive that look with textures.

# 4 06-12-2006 , 12:33 PM
Hey man where did you get the pic form? Just that I think that might be one of mine LOL!

In fact just checked over my archived images and it is mine LOL!

I did it all in maya, there was no post production in it.

The terain was done using a displacement map made from the "mountian" texture found within maya this was also mapped to the colour attribute, the sun was simply a Directional light placed very far away from the terain and an environmental fog applied to the scene with a very low value, which provided the look of a lens flare.

Oh and the background for the camera was a washed out blue grey, the colour ofthe directional light was a light yellow colour.

It was quite a few polys when the displacement was converted but that didnt matter as I only used it to position the camera, not to work on the scene, the render time was also quite low (about 4 mins on a athalon XP 1700, 1gb machine, my old one!)

Hope it helps.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by gster123; 06-12-2006 at 05:51 PM.
# 5 06-12-2006 , 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
just as a note, concerning directional lights, translation doesnt matter only rotation ^^

# 6 06-12-2006 , 02:50 PM
Very True, It started as a spotlight and then I changed it.

I just like to have my lights placed in the right areas incase I want to change them over at some point in the future

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 06-12-2006 , 08:24 PM
nice scene gster - I especially like the feeling of distance created with the environmental fog. Good work!user added image

# 8 07-12-2006 , 12:05 AM
wow thanks for the info gster!!