Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 09-02-2011 , 11:40 PM

Help!! Tool selects both sides of the model

Hi,

I am relatively new to Maya and am using Maya 10. I am trying to follow a guide to model a hand, sort of a tutorial book, anyway, i need to just select a couple of edges on one side of the model and move them, but when i select and move them the edges on the opposite side are also selected and move.

I have restored the settings and preferences back to default to see if i had accidentally changed something but still nothing.

Please please help if you can.

Thanks in advance
Ben
user added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added image:h elp:user added image

# 2 10-02-2011 , 12:53 AM
Lifetime Member
I think there are 3 ways to turn this option off and I cant remember them all....this is a pain in Maya.

You can go to "Window>Settings/Preferences>Preferences>Display>Polygons" and turn backculling off in there but it really doesnt do much...have a look in the help files? You can do it in the view port tabs as well but again it doesnt do a hell of a lot...I think there is or should be a proximity option??

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 10-02-2011 , 01:01 AM
If bullets suggestion doesn't work for you, check to make sure you don't have reflection turned on. Double click the move tool to open up the move tool options. If you scroll down the options you should see a section for reflection, make sure it's not checked.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 10-02-2011 , 01:11 AM

If bullets suggestion doesn't work for you, check to make sure you don't have reflection turned on. Double click the move tool to open up the move tool options. If you scroll down the options you should see a section for reflection, make sure it's not checked.

THANK YOU!!!

This has been boggling my brain for days now, that's exactly what it was.

Thanks again
Ben
user added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added image

# 5 15-02-2011 , 01:11 AM

Thank you SO much!
I had the same problem with vertices and it was driving me crazy ^_^

# 6 15-02-2011 , 02:43 AM
You two are more than welcome user added image

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!