Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 22-03-2007 , 02:34 PM

cleaning up

should you always clean up your edges and vetex's? i was just wondering while creating my model if it should be done or not?
also i got another question how do you creat smooth edges like rounded off edges?
thanks josh

# 2 22-03-2007 , 03:21 PM
Lifetime Member
short answer is yes.

you don't want unused vertex creating n gons (polygons with more than 4 sides)
If your mesh has stray vertex and five or six sided polys then you will never really get a smooth mesh .
To get a smooth mesh you either a) convert your model to sub-division (modify/convert poly to sub-d) or
b) smooth the mesh under the polygons menu, if you have Maya 8 or later it's under the mesh menu. A word of warning though , if you smooth your mesh and then anytime after delete the history (modify/delete by type/history) you will not be able to return to the unsmoothered version.

On a final note regarding 4 sided clean meshes when you progress to rigging and animation you will find it very necessary to keep to these rules as binding and weighting a rig so it deforms your model in a natural looking way can be difficult if the mesh is not clean.

bottom line ...get into the habit it will help you in the end.

# 3 22-03-2007 , 03:25 PM
ok thank you so no more than 4 sided shapes ok i did look at turorial and it said this just wanted to ask why. may i ask what are sub'd i know nurbs and polygons but what are the sub'd? plus is there an easier way to get a rounded edge rather than creatin vertex and rounding it off manulay?

# 4 22-03-2007 , 03:50 PM
Lifetime Member
you can use the bevel tool and set the divisions and the roundness in the option box of the tool (edit polygons/bevel or edit mesh bevel depending on which version of Maya you are using).
To use the bevel tool select edges in component mode(right click on your model /edge) then select the edges you want to bevel and then go to the above to set your divisioons and roundness.

F1 on your keyboard opens up the maya help files and I would suggest you do the simple tutorials and you would then find most of your questions would become clearer.

# 5 22-03-2007 , 03:58 PM
ohh i have 8.5 and i didnt relize the hand tutorial was sub's sorry. i have done all the modelling tutorials but they where simple models like a helmet so alot of just pulling out shapes no cracks lol plus i was using a image to help me this time it just in front of me on my desk. never used the bevel tool before im gna give it ago now thank you