Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 20-02-2004 , 02:35 PM

How I spent my summer vacation - JUST KIDDING

Well, it took my a couple of hours to make this one.
I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Attached Thumbnails

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
# 2 20-02-2004 , 02:54 PM
The Maya Mountain
The biggest thing that gets me is how clean everything looks. But that's probably because of the heavy use of procedurals. Making your own textures can usually afford yourself more control as to where dirt and other such texture details who up.

Also, try beveling the corners of the walls just a little. Nothin gin the real world has such sharp edges.

a bit more thought into lighting might help, too. Perhaps adding a little color hue to your lights and using a 3-point light setup to get yourself started.

Keep it up!

# 3 21-02-2004 , 12:50 AM
Subscriber
a quick note. I feel the bump on the wall is to strong. I would go for half of what you have or less.

# 4 21-02-2004 , 08:53 AM
I would go for alot les bump .. look at the walls around you, do you see anything with such a rough bump ??

I would also remove the reflection of the floor. mainly because its bumpy and floor reflections is getting kinda "so 80ies" if you know what I meen.. Tho actually I think it the 80ies it was Marble everyone used user added image

The pillows looks like Hard plastic, so maybe put some detail into those, and remember in real life two pillows do not drape exactly the same way.

Mike is also pointing on some issues - the "cleanness". I would add dirt and rust around the pipes, such stuff.

The image looks promissing tho - so dont be disencourraged by critisims.

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 5 21-02-2004 , 05:57 PM

UPDATED.

First of all. thanks for the feedback.
I noticed that most of you didn't like the strong bump on the wall, which were strong due to the nature of the jail cell. however - I soften the bumps.
This model was supposed to be a quicky and I didn't think I'd play with it after I'd post it.
so after I've made some changes I took it for a spin through photoshop and it turned out a little better - more cinema-dramatic.

and now - a quick questions for the wise:
how do I play with the focus of the camera.
and how do I make the pillows more ... well ... pillowish.

Attached Thumbnails

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.