Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 03-06-2005 , 04:21 PM
Subscriber

Viper Spaceship

Hey Everyone,

Just a few quick pics of the spaceship I'm modeling based on the viper from the new battlestar galactica series. I'm still working on the wings and engine details, but thought I'd through this up to get some feedback.

user added image

user added image

user added image

Thanks,
Troy

# 2 03-06-2005 , 08:25 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Dude
Tht looks like a nice start. Throw me a wire

_J

# 3 03-06-2005 , 08:29 PM
Subscriber
Here's an update...

showing the wings and some of the back end, still got lots of work to do on the engines. The ailerons are seperate objects, so is the bays for the landings gear etc..thinking future animatable objects.. I'll post some wires in a sec..

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

Troy

# 4 03-06-2005 , 11:49 PM
Great Start! Did you use Nurbs? Really smooth looking. user added image

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 5 04-06-2005 , 12:33 AM
Subscriber
Nope no nurbs, it's all polys.

# 6 04-06-2005 , 01:05 AM
Subscriber
Hmmm, Im am afraid to hear the poly count. What method did you use? Nurbs to poly, or sub to poly? Im stumped, because if thats what you can model straight from polys (with a low count, keep that in mind) then I am amazed. But otherwise, I still think it is nice work.

# 7 04-06-2005 , 01:09 AM
Wow, that's awesome! You must really know your stuff. user added image I'm not too good with poly modeling yet lol.

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 8 04-06-2005 , 01:31 AM
Subscriber
Thanks guys,

Jango here's a wire of my low poly proxy mesh.

Alienscience. As you can see from the screen grab the poly count on the lowpoly proxy is only a little over 3000 polys. As for my method well I'm old 3dmax user that recently converted over to maya a couple months ago, and I must say I'm never going back to max user added image. At any rate I've always been a poly by poly modeler.

shadeblade. Poly modeling isn't really that hard. I did find it a brutal learning curve at first, but once I understood exactly how my mesh was going to smooth out, and how to create those nice hard creases without using subd's then it becomes a hell of alot easier.

user added image

Troy

# 9 04-06-2005 , 01:43 AM
Subscriber
another close up screen grab showing the wire for the cockpit frame. This is a good example of how I create hard creases and sharp turns in a mesh, and have it all turn out nice when I apply smooth.

user added image

Troy

# 10 04-06-2005 , 08:27 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Grayth

Thats a tidy mesh dude, love it.

You work similar to myself although I just love subd for organic stuff. What you're doing with the extra edge is the same as what Id do with SDs for the edges; just one in the middle. Then smooth accordingly.

Look forward to the rest.

Regards
_J

# 11 05-06-2005 , 02:57 AM
Woah super nice. You plan to texture or animate later?

Can i see a close up of some more wires?

# 12 06-06-2005 , 12:49 AM
Subscriber
Yeah Going to texture it and animate it. I haven't done to much for updates this weekend will try over next few days. I've been thinking of a nice way to model up the engine details, we'll see how It turns out.

Plus I still have to model the landing gear and inside the cockpit. etc...I'll post more wires tomorrow...

My idea is to make a composite animation shot over some background shots, using bluescreen effects and create a nice fly by, or something..

# 13 07-06-2005 , 11:16 PM
Subscriber
Cool model bud.. Can you ad some lights to your renders and post some new pics please

# 14 08-06-2005 , 12:08 AM
Subscriber
Here's some more shots. I haven't added any temp lights yet sorry. I'm working on some engine ideas for the back end. I've also added in some rotors inside the engine intakes...

Well let me know what ya think.

user added image

user added image

user added image

Troy

# 15 08-06-2005 , 05:45 AM
Subscriber
Nice