Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 23-06-2010 , 09:13 PM
Lifetime Member
Yeh Perfecto,

shift-d is cool isnt it!!!! make the copy ctrl-d, move to where you want and shift-d all day

LOL cheers bullet

stwert..I think you do have to set it for what you want shift-D. I have mine set @ -1 in x and leave it at that..mostly for mirroring fuselage etc

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 17 23-06-2010 , 09:28 PM
The Nurb Herd
holdng d for moving the pivot
and
alt+h to hide everything other than the select object.

those are handy ones.

# 18 23-06-2010 , 09:41 PM
Lifetime Member
I didnt know that 'd' shortcut hammer!!!!!!!! bloody wicked man!!!! I have been using 'insert' etc etc all this time!!! which was a pain...and if you hold 'd and v or x' together it will snap to vert or grid...you just made my bloody day!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 19 23-06-2010 , 09:43 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yeah, I just said that on the last page user added image... along with a bunch of other random crap.
Try the MMB trick. Pretty sweeet.

# 20 23-06-2010 , 11:20 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL sorry stwert didnt see it...........old man syndrome

bullet1968

# 21 24-06-2010 , 07:23 PM
unfortunately the whole keyboard is mapped with shortcuts. I heavily depend on marking menus...

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 22 24-06-2010 , 08:01 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay
That dupe special key is a godsend where I come from. Why people dont use it I'll never know. You can set objects the exact same space apart without arsing with snapping and guess work. Its very cool for architectural work , for pillars and stuff. LOZ Im surprised you arent a fan, especially being a so called hardsurface guru. That command is in my tool box for sure

cheers
Jay

I use the command quite often mate, but not the short cut. Generally i have to change the settings in the option box each time i use the command again, for instance duplicating negative across x, then duplicating negative across y right after. the shortcut wont open the options box for me, so i have a shelf button for the DsO. if for some reason i am duplicating two separate objects with the same parameters then i will use the shortcut key, its just rare the i need the keyboard short cut for it.

make sense?

@ Perfecto & Bullet....funny that you use shift-d for that, the actual short cut is mapped to "D" normally i just hit caps lock and press d....less key strokes. or I'll press Shift-d and then g until i am done.

g-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 23 12-07-2010 , 03:43 AM
EduSciVis-er
Just had a stroke of brilliance (if I do say so myself :p ), I remapped Ctrl+D (that's Ctrl Shift d) to DuplicateSpecialOptions. Now the options box pops up every time I hit the hotkey... and I can use the hotkey now.