Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-02-2003 , 04:58 AM
Subscriber

constraints ?

I have been playing with constraints for the animation of a rotating crankshaft,rod and piston. I figured out how to constrain the rod to follow the crank but I can't figure out how to make the piston follow the rod only up and down. Any help would be much appreciated. Here is a copy of the file.

# 2 28-02-2003 , 11:53 AM
Hi Charlie, it took me a while to figure it out, but all you needed to do was:

1. point constrain the piston to the rod

2. then use the point constraint offset in the Y axis to move the piston back up where it should be (because it jumped to the pivot of the rod)

3. then if you break the pistons X and Z connections to the point constraint, it only moves up and down!

Unfortunately I can't attach the file because I use Maya 4.5, but did you get what I mean?

# 3 01-03-2003 , 07:13 AM
Subscriber

works great!

Thanks for the help JOZVEX that is exactly what I was trying to do.Thanks agian.user added image