Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 16-10-2010 , 07:35 AM

friction burn

So I am trying to make a friction burn effect as a meteor enters the atmosphere but I can't figure out quite how to approach it. I have tried animating a texture on it and also tried some particle effects as well but I just can't seem to get the effect of the meteor penetrating the atmosphere.

Any ideas?

# 2 16-10-2010 , 10:23 AM
The thin red line
There is a meteor and a fire ball in your visor, just open one of those in a new scen to see how they have done it(you can open in the scene your in but you can play about a bit in a empty scene).............dave

Edit:you might have to key frame a little to get them to work right

Last edited by daverave; 16-10-2010 at 10:26 AM.
# 3 16-10-2010 , 12:14 PM
Theres a great tutorial by Duncan over at autodesk's area

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 17-10-2010 , 05:31 AM
Yeah, I was aware of the visor and all the presets but they weren't quite the kind of effect I wanted. I need to get a close up on the meteor and it has to look amazing close up.

This is kind of more along the lines of what I want:
user added image