Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 25-09-2006 , 06:34 AM
... yea, how hard is it to get symmetry in Maya? All you need to do is clip your model in half and instance (or dup) over x, y, or z=0... vertex shifting to make it fit.

# 17 25-09-2006 , 08:10 AM
And besides, the real world is not symmetrical.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 18 25-09-2006 , 12:46 PM
There, there everybody, before I have to bring out the calvary, what I said what is my own unprofessional and probaly biased opinion. Feel free to disagree, scream, go crazy, but no firefights!

And I spelt statue wrong in my previous post. Why can't they have a spell checker in here?

Autodesk has a long history of buying other company's software and then burying them after a few years. I recall what I said was what was echoed on a reasonable amount of forums when Autodesk announced they were taking over Alias. Many people feared Maya won't last a few years and that is quite logical.

And I don't think vladimirjp's avatar is bad in any way. As for my title, I'm keeping it for some very strange reasons...

Last edited by The Architect; 25-09-2006 at 01:29 PM.
# 19 26-09-2006 , 09:08 AM
Kind-of doubt it in this case... Alias *really* wasn't bought for a whole hell of a lot compared to its worth. Seems almost like a passive takeover or something similar.

Though you can see Maya shift substantially in its UI between Maya 6 and Maya 8. All for the better though that can't really last long.

Oh well, Maya 8's good enough for my practical purposes.

# 20 27-09-2006 , 07:36 PM
In the way that I see it, it all comes down to personal preference. Some people prefer 3D Studio Max, some people prefer Maya, some even perfer Lightwave.

There are people who you are never going to change their minds on what's a better program. What it comes down to is that if you know your shiznet, then it's a good program no matter what program it is.

I myself, will love Maya til the day it dies......even if its now being released by Autodesk.

"This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting."
# 21 06-10-2006 , 10:38 AM
maybe they should refrace the question:

what is easyer to start with if u want to start modeling/animating?

maya or 3dsmax?

01001011011101010111011101100101011001010110101101 10010101100101
# 22 16-10-2006 , 02:59 PM
hi, some people say Maya is more powerful than Max in fur rendering. i like maya's rendering power but it's too slow. even with a Intel Pentium D 3.4 GHz, 4MB Cache(950) and 2 GB of DDR2 RAM 533 MHz, and a 7300 GT nVidia GPU (256MB GRAM) it takes about 40 sec to render a scene in Maya! however the same scene takes about 7 or 8 sec in Max to render!

So as I know, Maya is better but Max is ...!!
c u...

# 23 17-10-2006 , 10:03 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Seles
There are people who you are never going to change their minds on what's a better program. What it comes down to is that if you know your shiznet, then it's a good program no matter what program it is.

i think alot of times ppl favor the program they first start off with. most ppl i know are like that.

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 24 18-10-2006 , 10:49 AM
Subscriber
Sometimes.

I started of in Aldus (Spelling?) 3d and moved to Strata Vision, but I definatly like Maya way better. And it wasn't hard to learn. However I started in those programs when I was like 11 years old so I guess Maya is the first program I ever used really seriously.

# 25 18-10-2006 , 08:09 PM
Senior Software Developer
I prefer Maya to Max and to XSI (having used all 3). I find Maya for more intuative and easier to model with. XSI would rank 2nd for me and Max last. But...

... all 3 have there own strengths and you are finding more an more studios switch between each one.

As for the Microsoft comment... Wrong, MS get a real bad rep as the OS crashes. It's not the OS its the poorly constructed applications that go on the OS. Saying that MS are being slapped for releasing SDK's and info where the code isn't set to a low enough code level, therefore we end up with poorly constructed apps. mainly this is all about earning money through Gold Support. ahhh the might buck wins again.

Maya is great on every OS user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 26 18-10-2006 , 09:50 PM
R@nSiD, you said, ''As for the Microsoft comment... Wrong, MS get a real bad rep as the OS crashes. It's not the OS its the poorly constructed applications that go on the OS."

I have to disagree. While some crashes in Windows can be attributed to dodgy software, some are caused by flaws in the Windows design itself, although the majority are caused by outdated drivers or cheap generic devices (and thier drivers).

Anyways, I perfer Maya, not becuase it was the first program I tried or learned, but becuase it is the most powerful general purpose 3D app I have come across. Plus its design is more utilitarian than others, which I perfer over pretty eyecandy.

# 27 19-10-2006 , 01:49 AM
If your starting off with 3D, one thing that swung me to Maya was that there was a lot of material available (books was what I was looking into for tuts and reference) as well as web based tutorials (although there might be more web based max tutorials).

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 28 21-10-2006 , 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Phopojijo
Autodesk changed a lot inside Maya with the 8-release.

The tools were moved all over the place... hell polygons has its own menubar now.

However they also fixed almost all of the polygon bugs... I don't even have the booleans bug anymore, even on a Maya 6 file I openned in Maya 8 which (in Maya 6) had the booleans bug.

On the discouraging side though, it feel a LOT more like Max than it used to (ex: create a polygon cube... you drag the base and pull the height versus Maya 6 getting a 1x1x1 cube and scaling it yourself)... but its still Maya in the core... possibly the golden version of Maya. (Then again that usually means a dark age is impending :p)

\

Hiya. You can change the drag option to normal in preferences.user added image

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 29 24-10-2006 , 09:37 AM
I started off using Max... it had a steep learning curve. Didn't really get too far with it. Switched to Maya at version 4.5 never looked back. I still like version 8. Autodesk obviously added some 'functionality', but at heart it's still the award winning software it was meant to be. Truth is that Alias and Autodesk merged... that means the old alias team still works on it, only now they get some extra 'help' from the Autodesk team. XD

I say there has to be a reason leading Hollywood Effects and 3D Studios use Maya. So... you know what I think... yey.

...and that is how I saved the world.
# 30 26-10-2006 , 03:24 PM
for a noob in modelling i recomend using max i found it far easier than maya was regarding i was using maya 6.5

-Dosn't have a discent one fo this site-