Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 46 28-03-2012 , 06:39 PM
The thin red line
Hope this helps..............dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 47 28-03-2012 , 08:06 PM
the shovel blade (the spade) is too flat. It seems to have a slight curve. It's nothing major I just saw a comment about it and was agreeing.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 48 29-03-2012 , 09:21 AM
The thin red line
Creck try the bend deformer on it or a lattice sellecting just the spade blade verts not the handle bit should have said that yesterday but just got out of hospital was feeling groggyuser added image...........dave

Last edited by daverave; 29-03-2012 at 09:24 AM.
# 49 29-03-2012 , 10:10 AM
Lifetime Member
Hope you are ok dave? yeh creck it depends on the shovel (used them for 30 years LOL)...some have a very pronounced curve across the blade..others not so. I guess I will also depend on the year...it might be hard to get a good ref. If you have the shovel 'name' it may be easier to find....looking good though mate....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 50 29-03-2012 , 02:13 PM
Great community
Thanks for help and advices mates! I've tried to do that, hope it looks better now user added image

Moreover, I'm really thankful for this forum and its users like you are, who are willing to help, encourage and write some criticism if needed. user added image

Attached Thumbnails

May the good times and treasures of the present become the golden memories of tomorrow.

Last edited by Creck; 29-03-2012 at 02:49 PM.
# 51 29-03-2012 , 04:42 PM
The thin red line
That looks better, there was not much of a bend but it was noticable...........dave

# 52 31-03-2012 , 10:46 PM
Great community
yea dave, i've increased the bend then....
i need to delete some faces of hull armor because of turret...
is it a good way?

Attached Thumbnails

May the good times and treasures of the present become the golden memories of tomorrow.
# 53 01-04-2012 , 03:05 AM
Hmmm. I must tread lightly here. Based upon the angular shape of the vehicle I would assume that is was actually made up of separate plates that were welded together.

The way you have created the hole will work but the topology is a bit messy and the hole may not need to be extruded inward at all.

Because you have constructed the chasis as a single object to cut the hole and not have triangles and ngons you will need to carry the geometry around the entire model. You may be able to reduce some of the edges by merging 3-1 though. Ngon's on planar surfaces that will not be deformed will render just fine but in a studio pipeline they might raise eyebrows as will triangles.

Another approach might be to construct the hull more like the way it was actually constructed as a collection of plates. This would make adding the hole a bit easier as you would not have to route geometry around the entire model by localizing it to the front plate.

You could also do away with the need to smooth and could go with just edge beveling. This will reduce texture stretching as well.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 01-04-2012 at 07:54 PM.
# 54 01-04-2012 , 07:52 AM
The thin red line
Creck I would normally add edges before I did the cut out, as Rick has said there are a number of ways to do this. Also why not just delete that area.........dave

https://svsm.org/gallery/hetzer/DSC_7194

# 55 01-04-2012 , 08:09 AM
Great community
Thanks for reply guys, I will probably do it like the way it was constructed and then, as you said, cut the hole just into the front plate...
dave, the whole area which turret is covering ?

# 56 01-04-2012 , 08:48 AM
The thin red line
If you are not going to see it I would delete it, will give a little more room for UVs...........dave

# 57 01-04-2012 , 10:53 AM
Great community
What about to do that this way ?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Creck; 01-04-2012 at 11:32 AM.
# 58 01-04-2012 , 01:29 PM
That would work fine as long as the turret covers it. There is no need to extrude inward as that just creates extra unseen polys and reduces your texture space.

# 59 01-04-2012 , 05:56 PM
Great community
well, so this part is done, but next hole, that i need to cut to is for view, could it be done like that ?

Attached Thumbnails

# 60 01-04-2012 , 06:12 PM
Same issue as the other end. Trying to keep the geo confined to that large face generates ngons and diagonal flowing geo. Also trying to get square cornered holes gets a little tricky because you are working with such a single large poly face.

You might be able to do this part simply by adding the hood and then use a flat black texture on the inside to give the illusion of an opening.

To get quads you'll have to add more geo throughout the model or break the model up to localize the geo. Negative spaces are one of the real pains of poly modeling, especially if you feel compelled to bow down to the quad-god.