Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 23-11-2011 , 06:00 PM
Lifetime Member
Easiest thing to do to delete a layer is to select the components that are on that layer already and then right click and remove objects from that layer, then you should be able to delete it just fine.

One of the biggest tricks I have learned with layers is that you have to first select in Object mode the pieces of your model that you want on a single layer and then using the add layer with selected objects should do what you are looking for. Maya sometimes runs into problems with not removing items from a layer if that object was created or duplicated from an object on another layer. As for wireframe colors make sure you have show wireframes on shaded on. Selected objects will default to the selected objects wireframe color despite the layer color.

I have attached a pic to see if this is what your are looking for.

Attached Thumbnails

- Jake
# 17 25-11-2011 , 06:45 PM
Subscriber
Yes this is what I am trying to do with the project. Create layers so I can edit on the object with selecting parts I do not want.

The starting layers has me off a bit. It seems as if you need that one one the top to feed all of the others below it.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something here.

joverall22- Is it possible for you to do a short video on how you set that up and post it. I owe you one on this.

Thanks user added image

Last edited by PenPixels; 25-11-2011 at 07:03 PM.
# 18 25-11-2011 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber
11 - "Lattice" Ok I have this straight object that I want to twist and bend. I am thinking about using the lattice on it to do this. I did a search on Google or Youtube and could not find any video examples showing how to operate the Lattice effect to bend straight objects to a curved shape.

Any suggestionsuser added image

12 - I've seen footage of characters moving around in Maya and the cloth on the character feel fluid and has life added it to it. Is this something that takes place during effect to the mesh or is it one of those hidden secrets about Maya.

When we model something. It already has a frozen look to it. What is it that takes place to give it that life that I see during the examples shown on Youtube of cloth having movement and weight.

Is there a phase that takes place during the skinning that causes this to happen or is ot a simple Lattice trick that we all have to get to know.user added image

Thanksuser added image

# 19 25-11-2011 , 09:03 PM
Subscriber
13 - Nomals-

ok I am having some issues when I "Append to Poly Tool". I select the "Edges" above below and select - Append to Poly Tool and it gives me an "X". That means that my normals are somehow not in the same directionuser added image right?

Thanks in Advanceuser added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by PenPixels; 25-11-2011 at 09:13 PM.
# 20 25-11-2011 , 09:58 PM
EduSciVis-er
11 - use bend and twist deformers in the non-linear deformers menu (probably easier than lattices)
12 - nCloth... big big topic and very complex.

# 21 25-11-2011 , 10:06 PM
Subscriber
Ok I figured out the Normals situation yeaaa!. Frag, now i have to turn the friggin things off. They look like spikes everywhere.

How do we turn them off or hide them again. There is not a command that say "Hide Normals"

Never -mind I found it - Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa! you go to [Display - Polygons - Face Normals and that hides the Normals.

Note:See why is it that Maya can't just say Hide Normals for crying out loud user added image

Thanks user added image

Last edited by PenPixels; 25-11-2011 at 10:14 PM.
# 22 25-11-2011 , 10:14 PM
The thin red line
Go back to display,polygons,face normal click on that.....dave

Edit:to see if your normals are facing the right way turn off the two sided lighting in your panel, then norms facing the wrong way will be black

Last edited by daverave; 25-11-2011 at 10:35 PM.
# 23 25-11-2011 , 11:01 PM
Subscriber
Oh I did not think about that. Great call Daveuser added image

# 24 27-11-2011 , 02:43 AM
Subscriber

Low Poly Modeling ?

When You model a Low Poly Character, Do you smooth it out or do you model the image to look somewhat smooth?user added image

# 25 27-11-2011 , 02:46 AM
Subscriber
14 - Booleansuser added image - Are there any examples out there that show how we perform a Boolean command in Mayauser added image.

# 26 27-11-2011 , 10:18 AM
Noober than noob

11 - "Lattice" Ok I have this straight object that I want to twist and bend. I am thinking about using the lattice on it to do this. I did a search on Google or Youtube and could not find any video examples showing how to operate the Lattice effect to bend straight objects to a curved shape.

Any suggestionsuser added image

12 - I've seen footage of characters moving around in Maya and the cloth on the character feel fluid and has life added it to it. Is this something that takes place during effect to the mesh or is it one of those hidden secrets about Maya.

When we model something. It already has a frozen look to it. What is it that takes place to give it that life that I see during the examples shown on Youtube of cloth having movement and weight.

Is there a phase that takes place during the skinning that causes this to happen or is ot a simple Lattice trick that we all have to get to know.user added image

Thanksuser added image

To learn about nCloth, search the Maya manual, not sure what version you have but it's under Help in Maya usually. Just search nCloth and there's a tutorial there. Though it gets frustrating when you have more than 1 cloth to put over a character. Also takes ages to get a cache for something longer than 100 frames.
I still haven't figured out a way to make the clothes stop bouncing on the character when the character isn't moving except by reducing gravity, but that causes more problems when I rotate the char (the clothes seem to fly on the char lol).
https://download.autodesk.com/us/maya...ted/index.html
Search nCloth here too, might be useful a bit.

# 27 27-11-2011 , 04:28 PM
EduSciVis-er

When You model a Low Poly Character, Do you smooth it out or do you model the image to look somewhat smooth?user added image

You need to model it to look smooth; round out the corners using what geometry you can afford. Game engines won't support smooth preview, and obviously a mesh > smooth will add a ton of geo.

# 28 28-11-2011 , 01:40 AM
Subscriber
15 - Tris & N-GONSuser added image - Hello can some one please clear this up for me. I hear a lot that we should stay clear of tri. However I see pros use them all the time.

Another thing, if we are to stay clea of Tris. Why is it that in the end we convert quads to tris.
I am so confused about this and would like to clear this up in my own head once and for all.

Thanksuser added image

Last edited by PenPixels; 28-11-2011 at 02:29 AM.
# 29 28-11-2011 , 11:21 AM
Administrator

# 30 28-11-2011 , 05:38 PM
Lifetime Member

Working with Layers

No Pen you don't have to have objects on a single layer in oder to feed other layers. It works more like this

Object A - Layer A
Object B - Layer B
Object C - Layer C

Objects A, B, C:
Are all in your Scene so they are all essentially on the same default layer when originally created this layer doesn't actually exist so don't worry about it. You can select any number of objects and add them to a single layer and objects can be on more than one layer.

example

Objects D, F - Layer D

this is pretty typical with eyes they are each individual objects but found on the same layer. I uploaded a video (sorry I'm using Jing here at work so no mic) I end up taking one of the eyes off of the Eyes layer and creating a Left_Eye layer just for my example. Notice that I first select the object and then use the create layer with selected objects button.

here is the link to that vid https://screencast.com/t/SMCcDow6

hopefully this clears things up for you.

- Jake