Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 23-06-2003 , 11:50 PM

Originally posted by BabyDuck
you have no real arguments so you bring up the design of the case? dont take "work on them" literally. you are not supposed to SEE the computer while you work. just slam the case under the desk and work infront of the monitor(s).
you tried a mac and could not stand it because the case was so ugly?

just my $ 0.02

Never work on the computer? haha. with a major of computer engineering you most workly on the inside of the computer. And yes, I open up my computer weekly to screw around with it.

MSN: cyborg_corporation@hotmail.com
AIM: RavagingOrc
# 17 23-06-2003 , 11:52 PM
And who would want 8 Gig of RAM anyways? I rather use that money on something else like 3 more monitors user added image hehe, could you imagine one monitor for each view in Maya? And I might be wrong but isn't SDRAM the slow kind? DDR is the way to go or RD.

# 18 24-06-2003 , 12:04 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by HAL 9000
And who would want 8 Gig of RAM anyways? I rather use that money on something else like 3 more monitors user added image hehe, could you imagine one monitor for each view in Maya? And I might be wrong but isn't SDRAM the slow kind? DDR is the way to go or RD.

as having computer engeneering as major you should know that ddr ram is sdram - only that older sdram is not using both flanks for data transmission.

and remember your "And who would want 8 Gig of RAM anyways?" - you will regret that pretty soon. your eyes cannot be upgraded to use 5 monitors at once. who dreamt 15 years ago that you will ever need more than 10 gig on your harddrive?

# 19 24-06-2003 , 12:08 AM
on the 8 gig of ram.. i hear that brian e was having problems rendering his crazy ass car... and does he has 4gb? i might be wrong.. but it seems.. the more ram.. the better.

i wanna see the 3ghz g5 (out within 12 months)

-- Why is it snowing rain --
AIM: SnowboarderCF
# 20 24-06-2003 , 12:36 AM
By the time 8 gigs of ram is neccesary, better computers will be available.

# 21 24-06-2003 , 02:37 AM
I think dave said enough for me.

Thanks buduser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 22 24-06-2003 , 03:11 AM
Alright, I gota live up to my name. booohahahaha!

Just some quotes from those in the industry that have actually sat down, and hammerd on the new G5's:

Stefan @ mantiCORE Labs says:

quite a heavy price tag with duals + some essentials (like screen, extra HD, extra RAM in the order of 2GB or 4GB) running well into the $6000-$8000 range. That's a lot considering it's s-ATA based and you'll have to bleed through the nose for external SCSI arrays).

And my personal fav from Mauritius:

That machine can't be so great if Apple must tell lies about the SPECfp 2k performance of the competition: https://www.apple.com/powermac/.

Now in this table at spec.org https://www.spec.org/cpu2000/results/cpu2000.html
I find -- just for example -- a Dell Precision WorkStation 650 (2 x 3.06 GHz Xeon) with a SPECfp 2k base of 15.7 (same as the dual G5) not 11.1, as in that image at Apple.com.
And lets look at the SPECint 2k performance of this baby from Dell: 21.7!!! Not anywhere near the 16.7 listed in the Apple diagram -- ouch!

The same Workstation with a single 3.06 GHz Xeon lists with e.g. 1089 SPECint 2k base performance, while the Apple diagram says st. about 836 ...???
Same for SPECfp 2k for this very same single CPU machine: 1053, while the Apple diagram says 646 ...!

Where do these numbers at Apple.com come from?
-- the wet dreams of people working in this company's marketing department?
I'm also sure there are vendors which deliver better optimized PC systems than Dell ...

I didn't bother checking the numbers Apple gave for the single 3.0 GHz Pentium 4, but I bet they're also fictitious.

Now would you buy a new car from someone who's SO obviously lying?

:finger2: Apple's marketing,

Btw.: Maya, Nuke, etc. etc. all on Linux+AMD/Intel -- sorry, couldn't resist ...

I couldn't agree more with them... AND Daveuser added image

Next?

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 23 24-06-2003 , 04:09 AM
Subscriber

The New Apple G5

The apple G5 system is out, Even thou I don’t like apple systems but I know there are some here that do,, So what can I say,, I’m thinking of you Big bundle of apple users. user added image But hey It kind looks really cool thou user added image heres a linkApple G5

# 24 24-06-2003 , 05:30 AM
ok, NOT ANOTHER THREAD ON THAT EVIL THING. Please stick to the threads already open.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 25 24-06-2003 , 06:16 AM
Subscriber
LoL,,,hehe diden't see the post.user added image

# 26 24-06-2003 , 06:48 AM
Kevin
hahahahaha I told you so!!!!

here we go again!

I rekon Im going to have to ban mac threads along with the politics and religion ones user added image

# 27 24-06-2003 , 07:31 AM
Subscriber
Doh!! hehe sorry,, I will never say Apple on this forum ever again,,I Promises user added image user added image user added image just thought I'd Tribute a little somethenuser added image

# 28 24-06-2003 , 11:25 AM
Subscriber
Ding ding round 2,000?

Well, I just thought that I'd add my 'tupence h'penny' all I can say about the new G5s is that at last us Mac Users have a decently fast machine for running Maya - could it also hasten Maya Unlimited for OSX? Could do!

As others have said (RAGE - my old combatant user added image) the Itaniums and Opterons will probably come out next month and obliterate everything but us humble Mac users will be more than happy with our G5s.

AND I WANT ONE NOW!!!!! RRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSPPP!!!!!

As I always say: 'Mickey Mouse Mac and Pissy PC - both can do all we want so let it be user added image '

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 29 24-06-2003 , 11:34 AM
Kevin
I wondered how long it would take you to get here gazz user added image

# 30 24-06-2003 , 12:34 PM
Subscriber
I'm like bad wind really Kev... you can never quite get rid of it (or me)!

Especially if your a beer drinking curry-eater user added image

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com