Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 46 28-05-2009 , 09:31 AM
Subscriber
yeah, scene is 79480 triangles... a very small scene indeed

almost done with this... trying to make it look like a painting like how mr jack zhang did it here https://features.cgsociety.org/story_...rer=newsletter

but i have absolutely no idea how that's done....

https://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...61_3864509.jpg
a bit more to add and do... this took 1 minute and 35 seconds to render at 1280x1024
so i still think i'm not doing everything i can with rendering.... i just ticked GI and FG and nothing really changed other than a massive jump in the render time...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 47 28-05-2009 , 10:45 AM
Liking it Chirone! I also love that "two kings" image!
How did you get that faded glow on the trails, are you rendering in mentalray? I was trying to work out how to do something similar for mine but can't get anything to glow without using the maya software, I found a few tutorials on using surface shaders to replicate a glow but didn't like the result. Also as Tweety pointed out my scene is crowded enough already!
Good work though, keep it up!

# 48 28-05-2009 , 11:27 AM
Subscriber
thanks Dango!

i think i desaturated it too much

i'm using mental ray (i wouldn't use hardware or software renderers... they just lack the ray tracing...)
the "trails" (they're actually "telepathic links" between the ships and their pilots, with the whole 'i become my ship' concept in mind, are actually lightning effects with the glow's source turned off and the lights turned off. you should have seen it with all 28 point lights on... total bloom

i'm putting an explanation of my scene on the side too... since you can't really tell what's happening just by looking at the pic

i had to make the links visible so you could tell what belongs to what

before you couldn't tell that the red ship was linked to the two red wing ships at the back there and it looked like all five ships were attacking the little one with the shields

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX

Last edited by Chirone; 28-05-2009 at 11:31 AM.
# 49 29-05-2009 , 11:20 PM
Subscriber
i can't figure out how to make the final picture look awesome so i'm going to stop here

this ship has also been mistaken for leaves and sea shells...................

Centre ship
https://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...52_3131471.jpg

Wing ship
https://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._1310653_n.jpg

small scale battle
https://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4727452_n.jpg

inspired by Bahamut Retsu
https://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy...hamutRetsu.jpg
and Berserk Fury
https://www.zoidsevolution.net/new_ce...rserkFury3.jpg

Dango: the shield is just a wave texture and the wave was used as a bump map too, it did have refractions but even at 1.001 refraction the ship inside got screwed up pretty bad...

Last edited by Chirone; 30-05-2009 at 02:44 AM.
# 50 30-05-2009 , 12:59 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Hey, nice final render.... love the wisps of light... very nice... I also like the more organic/natural look to the ship.

Nice work, and good luck!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 51 30-05-2009 , 01:25 AM
hey nice job chirone - yeah, definitely agree - really like the organic aspects of your ship.

one thing tho - i would definitely lose the writing in your final image - for one thing - the phrase you've used actually doesn't make any sense - but also, by slapping a meaningless slogan on top of your work, you really devalue the image - your forcing an abstract concept on to your image - and it just ends up look cheap and rushed - if you really need to have text on your image than it needs to be integral to the image - because ultimately you're making it subservient to the text.

# 52 30-05-2009 , 02:12 AM
Subscriber
mayaniac, thanks, i think it worked out a lot better than the original mix of weirdness

arran, really? i thought it went... even though its a lame cliche... thought i should throw something more normal on there
the blue ships stand together and fight and the red ships divide and surround the blue one.
if you meant the caption, i think that makes sense too.. it says whats happening

but yeah, those cliches dont look like they are part of the picture.. so hard trying to make text look like its there on purpose

# 53 30-05-2009 , 02:20 AM
mate - don't put text on your picture unless you absolutely have to - especially if it's a lame cliche! you're just cheapening your image - and just because the text makes sense to you, doesn't mean it will make sense to the viewer - and by slapping a lame cliche on top of your image you are just narrowing the reading for the viewer .

ok, rant over - just my opinion - don't pay too much attention to me.

# 54 30-05-2009 , 02:57 AM
Subscriber
all good, i think it looks less crowded without the cliches

# 55 30-05-2009 , 03:03 AM
ha ha - that might have to be your new facebook update... user added image