Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 21-10-2011 , 05:15 PM
EduSciVis-er

Statistical Clock challenge!

Okay, since no one else has created a battle thread yet, I'm just going to do it.

Subject: "Statistical clock" - random word generator, open for interpretation - modelling, texturing, lighting, animation, and/or rendering - no single module of Maya is required, other software is acceptable as long as the bulk is done in Maya

Timeline: Short challenge, deadline is midnight (somewhere in the middle of the atlantic) on Oct. 30 (I'm sure you'll want to do other things on halloween?)

Judging: Poll-based, criteria to be determined by everyone that votes. No prizes or medals, just bragging rights and having the most fun.

Since I doubt there will be too many entries, just post all progress in THIS thread. If the response is overwhelming, we can do individual threads for the next battle.

# 2 21-10-2011 , 06:00 PM
Lifetime Member

Every Second *Matters*

I'm in this will be my first challenge on SM here my idea on Statistical Clock.

Every Second *Matters* or has Matter how about a clock that represents it.

Ill post my first WIP by tonight. (MST)

- Jake
# 3 21-10-2011 , 10:52 PM
Lifetime Member

Step 1 - Clock Face

Here is my first WIP I just finished the face of the clock with a few gears thrown in. Now the hard part integrating the Statistical Matter aspect.

Attached Thumbnails

- Jake
# 4 21-10-2011 , 10:56 PM
EduSciVis-er
Nice! Hopefully some other members get inspired by your great start.

# 5 21-10-2011 , 11:03 PM
Lifetime Member
Yea,

What fun is winning a challenge if no one else competes, you can't even have bragging rights.

- Jake
# 6 02-11-2011 , 04:02 PM
EduSciVis-er
Oh well, it was worth a try... people keep saying they want small challenges and battles, but they don't participate. I might be interested in a mini-challenge in a couple weeks once I'm done anatomy, so I'll see if I can stir up a quantum of interest then.

# 7 02-11-2011 , 04:12 PM
Lifetime Member
Yeah I like challenges but there has to be more participants. Even if there is no prize its a learning opportunity. Owell hopefully we can get a better turnout with a later topic.

- Jake
# 8 02-11-2011 , 11:23 PM
The thin red line

Yea,

What fun is winning a challenge if no one else competes, you can't even have bragging rights.

I did win the avator challenge by default, I must admit the victory was hollow but what do you do if every one drops out and you are left standing. I did work hard to get a result but there was no one to compair it to............dave

# 9 02-11-2011 , 11:27 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yes, the victory can be hollow and it's a lot less fun, but on the plus side, you're left with a good piece of work to include in a portfolio, or just to learn from.

I think next time a small member-started challenge or battle begins, I'll ask David or Nilla to put a little announcement in the announcement forum, it might draw more attention and participants.

# 10 04-11-2011 , 07:13 PM
Administrator
I like the battle arena, it's a shame it doesn't get used much. I think it's always been a bit difficult to get people to join in challenges but hey, nothing to do but try. The thing is to find an all-inclusive theme that's more attractive than people's own ideas and well...that's a tricky one. The toy challenge did well because it got posted a lot of other places plus the front page plus newsletters.

There's an old thread on here somewhere I think it was Kurts, with mini 2D and sketch challenges which was also a cool idea. It's just something different. Personally I think mini-challenges should be super easy and cover modeling only, like a hairbrush, hammer etc. in order for them to work. If you wanted to post them in the main challenge area I could stick the thread and post small announcements as well because it would be really nice to see people join in.

Cheers,
Nilla

# 11 04-11-2011 , 07:35 PM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks for the support Nilla, eventually we'll all find a winning recipe for successful mini challenges.

# 12 04-11-2011 , 07:42 PM
Lifetime Member

Lets Redesign Mini Challenges!

Hey that's not a bad idea perhaps mini challenges need to be redesigned. Models that are simple and defined as to what is expected.

This would be my suggestion.

There doesn't need to be an end date on challenges because we could do something like Facebook's Like button or +1 from google. We can post one topic about once a week or two and users can always submit to that challenge in hopes of getting the most amount of likes. It would be a running challenge to hold the most amount of likes for the longest time. user added image

I don't know the specifics of creating such a thing for the SM forums but I cant imagine it would be that difficult. There has to be tuts out there for creating it. If SM is interested I would be willing to help figure it out.

We could even try and do groups like
Small non-organic: "Challenge 1: Barrel - Wood, Metal, Open, Closed Your Choice"

Vehicles: "Challenge 1: Past Buggy - Horses not included user added image
Vehicles: "Challenge 2: Future Personal Transportation - Single rider futuristic design

That's just a few ideas

What do you think?

- Jake
# 13 05-11-2011 , 04:15 PM
The Nurb Herd
how about a lighting and rendering challenge using only shaders and models from the resource section of the site?