Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-10-2002 , 08:56 PM

Help With Paint Effects Needed

I'm having a problem with Paint Effects. When I use the Auto Paint > Paint Grid function on my 20x20 unit nubs plane, I get a grid that stretches out 600 units! And I can't seem to make it do anything else no matter what settings I change in the options.

Has anyone seen this problem? You can have a look at the problem here. Any help would be appreciated.

---Bishop

# 2 08-10-2002 , 11:15 PM
SM Alumni
I haven't used Auto-paint....did you make the Nurbs surface paintable? I'll give it a try and see what happens user added image

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 3 08-10-2002 , 11:28 PM
SM Alumni
Ok, mine worked fine. Create a 20x20 Nurbs plane with 10x10 patches. Went to Paint Effects/Make Paintable, then went, opened Visor, chose a grass brush, then Paint Effects/Auto Paint/Paint Grid. Painted the grass along the grid and opened the strokes in the channel box.

Darkon

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 4 08-10-2002 , 11:36 PM
Thanks for your interest in helping to avoid getting a lot of advice for things I've already tried, here's a quick run-down of what the scene looks like.
  • I've tried it paintable and before it's made paintable.
  • I've tried different brushes and brush sizes, small and large.
  • I've tried painting on different NURBS primitives.
  • I've tried altering most if not all the settings in the options. None of the options seem to affect the size of the overal grid. I assumed that it would just fill the surface you have selected at the time.

I'm thinking this must be a bug someone besides me has run into, and it should have an obvious answer.

Thanks again for any help...

---Bishop

# 5 08-10-2002 , 11:41 PM
SM Alumni
Yeah, that sounds like maybe a bug in the beta, I'm still running Maya 4 here, maybe someone with the final of 4.5 can give it a go and see if they run into the same trouble, sorry I couldn't help you out.

Darkon

-The Mountain P.F.M.