Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 13-11-2013 , 04:16 PM

Rendering a DX11 shader?

so the directx 11 shader looks pretty damn neat, I was just about to play around with this shader until i found out that i have no clue how to render this piece of shader ... I was thinking i was going to be able to render this in mental ray ... but that did not seem to work, neither did rendering it in the Maya software option .. can anyone explain why this isn't working ? user added image I can only see the proper shader as it should be in the viewport 2.0

user added image no help to be found after browsing through google user added image user added image

Thanks

Skalman

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
# 2 13-11-2013 , 04:56 PM

# 3 13-11-2013 , 06:29 PM

Hi,

google suggests that it's a viewport/realtime only shader:

https://download.autodesk.com/global/...ber=d30e643027

Coming to think of it, with a name like it has it kind of has to be user added image

cheers

gubar

allright that was my thought also user added image thanks for the reply

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding

^ My facebook page ^
# 4 08-12-2013 , 02:29 PM
Sorry to come late to this. Sure you can render the dx11 shader. Just select the Maya Hardware 2.0 renderer in render options. If it does not match the render, make sure your viewport options such as "use all lights" are on so that the render looks the same as the viewport.

There are also other options you can choose in render options such as AA, AO settings etc.

You can also batch render animation.

When batch rendering, don't use the option window or it will fail. Just select batch render.

# 5 16-01-2014 , 07:42 AM

Sorry to come late to this. Sure you can render the dx11 shader. Just select the Maya Hardware 2.0 renderer in render options. If it does not match the render, make sure your viewport options such as "use all lights" are on so that the render looks the same as the viewport.

There are also other options you can choose in render options such as AA, AO settings etc.

You can also batch render animation.

When batch rendering, don't use the option window or it will fail. Just select batch render.

Alltight, thanks alot user added image I kinda understood that dx11 shaders were unable to be rendered, but i didnt know how to get a video out of my production if you get me :p

I didnt mean unable to render ofcourse, realtime render rather user added image

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding

^ My facebook page ^

Last edited by Skalman; 16-01-2014 at 08:21 AM.
# 6 20-01-2014 , 07:14 AM
It is real time render. That is what dx11 is. It is for use in games simulations etc that have been created to support dX11 technology. It does not work in Mental Ray Maya Software etc. because it is not a Mental Ray or Maya Shader. In Maya the idea is to see what it will look like in the target display which in this case would be a game or other application that is simulating in real time using dx11 technology.

So with Viewport 2.0 which supports dx11, it is what you see is what you get. And you can adjust other things in render options what will show up in the viewport as well.

And rendering it from Maya is different than displaying the shader in real time in the viewport only because it is processing the frame from the camera view to display it in the preview render.

Of course batch rendering an animation is going to take just about as long as it takes to process all of these frames into a format and save them which is going to be different from system to system.

And at that point you are not really using dX11 real time technology, you are just processing the real time generated frames into an image format.

But as long as you want to output the animation that is what you have to do.

However if you are using the model in a game, there would be a shader in the game that would use all of the same features you are accessing in Maya with the DX11 shader. So your work in Maya then closer represents the target output.

Have a look at this:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Documentatio...DirectX11.html

Hope this clarifies things.

# 7 15-02-2014 , 09:03 PM

It is real time render. That is what dx11 is. It is for use in games simulations etc that have been created to support dX11 technology. It does not work in Mental Ray Maya Software etc. because it is not a Mental Ray or Maya Shader. In Maya the idea is to see what it will look like in the target display which in this case would be a game or other application that is simulating in real time using dx11 technology.

So with Viewport 2.0 which supports dx11, it is what you see is what you get. And you can adjust other things in render options what will show up in the viewport as well.

And rendering it from Maya is different than displaying the shader in real time in the viewport only because it is processing the frame from the camera view to display it in the preview render.

Of course batch rendering an animation is going to take just about as long as it takes to process all of these frames into a format and save them which is going to be different from system to system.

And at that point you are not really using dX11 real time technology, you are just processing the real time generated frames into an image format.

But as long as you want to output the animation that is what you have to do.

However if you are using the model in a game, there would be a shader in the game that would use all of the same features you are accessing in Maya with the DX11 shader. So your work in Maya then closer represents the target output.

Have a look at this:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Documentatio...DirectX11.html

Hope this clarifies things.

Hi Richard. Thanks alot for the reply back, did not see this until now user added image . Your reply got me to understand just what this shader is for and i can see clearly now man user added image If it aint too late to ask, does the DX11 shader have any disadvantages or anything since its more of a game shader? Im having hard to think that it does since it supports displacement mapping and all the good stuff, but with a complex texture setup it might be quite laggy to run a scene in DX11, right (then again you can just run it in the default renderer to disable the displacement/specular etc) ...

once again, thanks for the reply user added image

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding

^ My facebook page ^