Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 31-05-2004 , 06:37 PM

Male Elf - SubDivs

I have been fooling around with those SubD's for a little while now, testing and getting to know how they work. So here is the first 'something' where I actually know what I am doing.

Its full SubDivision surface, and those SD's are starting to grow on me. Theres still some things about SD's that is playing tricks on me, like how to fully control small and very fine creases in the surface - all that stuff "I just did" with polys - but im getting there.

Attached Images

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 2 31-05-2004 , 06:51 PM
Subscriber
thats very nice indeed.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 3 01-06-2004 , 02:00 PM
Subscriber
Yes, very nice and smooth and good details... is the ear suppose to be that far out? user added image

# 4 01-06-2004 , 02:59 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hi Caligraphics

Yeah those SDs are addictive!! If you want finer detail just right click on the model in vertex mode and select finer, you should see tiny '1's appear on the model. Once you start pulling those it will increase detail areas on your model. Watch out when converting back to Base level though cos your Level edits ie; 1 or higher will disappear. If you convert to a high ratio on the poly count when finished your edits will be included, but only when you have finished.

Cool looking Elf, it has got the thumbs up here in our office!!!

Jango

# 5 01-06-2004 , 05:14 PM
Subscriber
your first subD complete head ?
nicely done! I like the ears..It looks good on the rest of face! keep it rollin'

later
RAnSicK

# 6 01-06-2004 , 05:46 PM
hmm.. I havnt lost any level 1 or higher edits when switching back to 0 .. I will keep an eye out for that..

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
LEGO Systems A/S
# 7 01-06-2004 , 08:29 PM
Nice work! Keep it up! user added image

-------------------------------------------
# 8 02-06-2004 , 12:29 AM
AWESOME looking Elf head model caligraphics!! I give it 5 thumbs up!!! Oh wait...I don't have 5 hands....well if I did I would give it 5 thumbs up! Lol! Keep up the great work! user added image Do you plan on texturing it? I would love to see it textured! user added image

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)
# 9 02-06-2004 , 01:03 AM
Looking good Cali... keep the updates comming...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 10 02-06-2004 , 01:08 AM
Looking good. I wish the UV tools for SubD's were as powerful as for Polys...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 11 02-06-2004 , 05:33 AM
kbrown > Yeah I wish that aswell, but right now im doing some tests for UV mapping the head, I have a theory and if it works I will "spill the goods" - if it dont work, I will admit that I failed - hehe

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
LEGO Systems A/S
# 12 02-06-2004 , 05:37 AM
Subscriber
well, you should just convert it to polygons on the base level and use the polygon tools for uvs on that...then convert to subds and the uv map is preserved..more dense..but its still there

# 13 02-06-2004 , 05:38 AM
Subscriber
oh, and i dont recommend automatic mapping at all : )

# 14 02-06-2004 , 05:44 AM
Subscriber
i like the head a lot, very smooth like you would expect an elfs skin to be, good nose..its big which isnt a traditional take on elfs and i appreciate that, are you going to use it for animation? if you are then you should reduce the creasing around the mouth, it looks like he has a bit of a smile and thats not a good place to start when making blend shapes...keep up the great work though...id like to see him with an awesome hat : )

# 15 02-06-2004 , 07:51 AM
not going to animate him, this is just for testing purposes. So no plans of animation.

I am using him for the sole purpose of learning SubD and UV mapping techniques.

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
LEGO Systems A/S