Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 02-12-2004 , 12:07 PM

Grouped objects won't move in the same direction!!

Hi all!!

I've modelled a vase, a flower and a table.

The vase is situated near a window and when the window opens the vase tips over spilling the contents onto the table.

I've chosen to animate the vase using keyframes and slowly rotating the vase so that it eventually falls.

My problem is that I don't know how to group the vase and the flower so that it does the above. At present the flower consists of 10 components,....the stem, a bulb and 8 petals.

I've tried grouping the flowers' components together then parenting it to the vase, but when I try to move the vase, things start moving in different directions!!!

Am I using the correct procedure???

Please help :-(

P.S Why are things moving in different directions when I group the flower components together, then try to move it? How do I change it so that they move together?

# 2 02-12-2004 , 01:34 PM
The Maya Mountain
Make sure you delete history where applicable. Edit > Delete by Type > History on selected objects.

Might also want to change your movement tool to World mode rather than object mode. Hold W, left click and hold and the options for the translate tool open.

# 3 04-12-2004 , 07:44 PM
This sounds like double transformations to me. Meaning, that you probarbly have grouped the curve that define the vase, with the vase.

This result in the group moving the vase, and the curve plus the curve moving the vase aswell = the vase object get distorted, and moves the translation time 2 !

so make sure you dont have any curves grouped with connection or history to any objects.

I hope this helps

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S