Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 09-05-2005 , 09:36 PM

looking for a metal shader

I am looking for a shader that would work on a gun? Can anyone help me find one?

# 2 10-05-2005 , 08:09 AM
Subscriber
Hi,
I don't know any specific ones, but if i find one i'll PM you, but i think i would try getting/making a "Metal Shader" of approximately the right colour and then play around with the specularity and other settings to try and make it look better.
I am not that sure what type of "gun metal" you are after, there are so many from dull black teflon type materials to silver and gold, but I suspect you will be after that "dull grey" colour?
If so, I will need a shader like that for a project soon, so will keep a look out for you/us.

Regards Scraggy

# 3 10-05-2005 , 02:18 PM
Subscriber
doing specifec types of shaders in maya are hard to do... there are shaders you can download from Alias' site ( www.alias.com ) that you can use to help you if you can't make your own user added image

# 4 10-05-2005 , 02:52 PM

doing specifec types of shaders in maya are hard to do...

WTF!?

If you want metal then get yourself a reflection map (anything old photo will do) then turn your diffuse down a bit, turn your eccentricity down to about 0.1, spec roll off to 0.9-1.0 and the spec colour to white. Then tweak your reflection param. Most of all just experiment, but what sells metal are the reflections and the spec hits.

user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 10-05-2005 , 03:21 PM
Subscriber
To add to pure morning's post, use a phong shader for metal....and it depends on the type of metal that determines the type of reflection and highlights also......

# 6 10-05-2005 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
Hi,
Yes what 'Metal' are you after? Otherwise we may be on about 'Ceramic' Guns Lambert and SSsoon.

Ssscrag