Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 15-09-2003 , 01:20 AM
Subscriber
Well mike kinda worded his response in a way that sound like it might actually be possible to use shading networks. But i've played ALOT of F'n 3d games, and i am just a graphics guy so i pay attantion to these things, and most of the textures i've seen in 3d, you get close enough and it becomes pixelated. A truly procedural shader would not get pixelated period, only by the DISPLAY resolution.

Glass and stuff like that, maybe a simple one colour, but see thats just as easy with a painted texture, cause having only on colour, does NOT get pixelated.

You're exterior is looking very nice man! Some textures will truly make this be a place i'd love to play some quake or UT in! Don't forget there is an upside and downside to Concept 1, its a very nice detailed concept with two seperate pictures, but you are supposed to model 2 seperate eviroments, exterior and interior. How many total triangulated faces do you have there?? Those tubes look mighty heavy.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 17 15-09-2003 , 01:37 AM
The Maya Mountain
textures have to be file textures. Procedurals aren't allowed.

# 18 15-09-2003 , 01:48 AM
Subscriber
But Mike said:

"ADDENDUM TO RULES REGARDING CONCEPT #1!
Before, I said to focus on exterior, and if you had time, go on to interior. Now, if you'd like, you can focus on exterior OR interior, and if you have time, do the other one."

I hope only doing exterior is fine, right?:saywhat:

# 19 15-09-2003 , 02:16 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mtmckinley
textures have to be file textures. Procedurals aren't allowed.

Just to clarify, that means no noise and fractal and stuff? What about blinn with a straight color or ramp? Are we allow to use other material type like phong?

# 20 15-09-2003 , 02:44 AM
Subscriber
Vectorman, I would show the triangulated count shot but my building has an half-ass texturing job on it right now, so I better spare you people the pain of looking at it.... I counted it yesterday and it was around 20,000 or so. Though now and then when I count, I use select > polygon geometry, and triangulate, and not every faces were selected for some reason, or maybe they were counted but my display didn't show it right?

# 21 15-09-2003 , 03:24 AM
The Maya Mountain
It means that you are only using a Lambert with a color map/transparancy map/etc mapped to the applicable attributes, and nothing that Maya comes built in with. If you need a straight color, make a little 64x64 color map or something to use.

# 22 15-09-2003 , 05:26 AM
Subscriber
maybe you could show us a screen shot i'm not sure i understand where the problem is.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 23 15-09-2003 , 05:38 AM
Subscriber
This is what I was talking about, see how the properly triangulated ones are orange, and the big pipes are triangulated but not orange, and the body of two turrets are not orange and not triagulated. Even though I made sure I selected everything in the scene.user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 15-09-2003 , 06:10 AM
Subscriber
Ahh, I figured it out! After I "think" I selected everything, I go to Edit Polygon> selection> convert selction to face (or something like that), than everything is properly triagulated. The count is 21,000 something. Somebody else probably already posted the solution but I guess I won't understand it until I ran into it myself.

# 25 16-09-2003 , 07:54 AM
nice work

cyaah!!
# 26 16-09-2003 , 08:45 PM
Subscriber
Nice work so far dude. I like what you've done with the place. lol. The pipes were a good idea in my opinion and I can see how you have given it all your own personal flare with the design of the terrets and whatnot. Very cool.

# 27 17-09-2003 , 06:39 AM
Subscriber
Looking great HappyLemon, user added image and yes I had same problems with Triangulating and sorted it out the same way..
I love the detail on the building, those pipes etc look great.

Scraggy

# 28 17-09-2003 , 09:55 AM
Subscriber
A partially textured terret and some I-beams. Does it ever take time to do this thing?!

Attached Thumbnails
# 29 17-09-2003 , 10:52 AM
Subscriber
wow

it looks very good. i like the detailing and the texturing seems to be coming along well.

well done

MSN: mizin_alex@hotmail.com
E-MAIL: mizina@alphalink.com.au
# 30 17-09-2003 , 04:38 PM
Subscriber
Hey, coming along very nicely!
Like how the turret textures are taking shape, (even if
they a bit like my leg texturesuser added image )

looking good , keep it up!