Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 14-03-2008 , 01:57 AM
Subscriber

Minimoy

Hi
Im a "noob" so I think it will be long till I get the result
but I will try to do my own minimoy
I like their looks

looking like tiny elves

so there's the picture that I will base my model on (just the base because I will do my own one)
https://lesminimoys.l.e.pic.centerblog.net/pndj6bnq.jpg
so this is a minimoy
I've never done a face before... so there's where Ill start
the only art I've done because was a slug with a war helmet

so this is what my face is looking like (but I have to start it over because of the eyes... I dont know why but under the eyes there's a weird thing...
and it all looks weird...
mouth + nose = hohoooo
do you know why..? and what toll can I use to do a simple edge between 2 lines without doing a line all around the head? (to get less edges and vertex everywhere)

thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

Maya modeler - current project Avatar - purplemikey
# 2 14-03-2008 , 02:58 AM
Subscriber
I've corrected the problem under the eyes
and now I've done a smooth on the polygon insted of transforming it to a subdivs
and fix some things
also made am irror to make same thing on the 2 sides
and maybe Ill get under Zbrush to do some... basic detail when Ill get the eye done before apply hairs and texture (yeah I know.. he's not looking really good but its my first weak in 3D even I've been waiting to start 3D for 3-4years)
so this is a picture of what it looks like now

Attached Images

# 3 14-03-2008 , 03:18 AM
hey mikeyduf - you really need to read up on 'edge loops' - it will help you get a much better understanding of how forms are made and it will help lower the amount of verts. basically the geometry of the mouth and eyes will be made from loops that flow around them - take a look at the topology thread stickied at the top of the WIP forum - that should be a good place to start.

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=24483

the area under the eye was caused by your verts not being merged - so when you cionverted to subD it had holes as you can see in the left lower pic.

# 4 14-03-2008 , 11:39 AM
Subscriber
thanks
it helped a lot
I've read on it by I think I have to read more again to be sure of what I have to do exacly
so I will continue this ... head but I will study how to do a low poly head + realistic head
and I will do an other one to do my complete minimoy (maybe ill get it done before summer... I hope)
thanks again and see you later

but... how is that for my first week and second modeling?
I think its not that bad... but it will just be better with your comments guys
I want to improve fast to complete my "dreams" model done (yeah I really like the minimoys look) and go study in 3D next year

# 5 15-03-2008 , 11:56 PM
Subscriber
after looking at a lot of picture I tought I had understand enough to try again
maybe I was just wrong...
after doing a new model I've learn something again
but I like the model so I will keep it and work with this one to get hair first..., eye lashes, better mouth maybe even if I kept this one because I like it and then work on a body and make some clothes

but first.. I need to look at some tutorials for the hairs
and Im reading things on UV maping to give better texture (dont worry... the textures on my minimoy will be removed when the body will be ready for texture.. I will test what I've learned)
so there is 2 pictures
(if you look at the mouth there's a little problem... already corrected and the nose is really like I wanted I think its a bit more... unreal and cute)

|dont be too hard its only my... "second" head if we count the one that I've tried and deleted that you can see upper... and my third model in my life... but please tell me what I have to improve and some compliments is alway nice|

user added image

user added image

new pictures coming (line in the middle have been removed)

Last edited by mikeyduf; 16-03-2008 at 02:37 AM.