Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 27-06-2009 , 07:45 PM

Need help with Alfa

Hello.

I've been trying to use the alfa-channels in Photoshop to hide some parts of my texture, but there is something that just doesn't work.

Because even if the parts with one face that I used the alfa channels for work, the other models that use the same texture doesn't.

The best way to explain what happened to them, is that I for some reason see through the first layer of faces on the model.

This is how the model (that is far from being finished) in question looks like after the alfa-chanels.

https://i39.tinypic.com/2z6toqp.jpg

And this is how it's actually supposed to look like (I get it when I render through software).

https://i39.tinypic.com/35iamuh.jpg

So can anyone help me with this, because it's driving me crazy =/. And if you need any more information just ask.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Midorini; 28-06-2009 at 01:09 AM.
# 2 27-06-2009 , 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Looks to me like the first one is the hardware render and the second is the software rendered image. It seems to just be a display issue, maybe it's your video card, though it may be annoying to look at it doesn't seem to change the output, you can try the latest drivers for your card and see what happens.

- Genny
# 3 27-06-2009 , 10:46 PM

Originally posted by GecT
Looks to me like the first one is the hardware render and the second is the software rendered image. It seems to just be a display issue, maybe it's your video card, though it may be annoying to look at it doesn't seem to change the output, you can try the latest drivers for your card and see what happens.

It's actually the other way around (the second one is hardware rendered).
I'm pretty sure I got the latest drivers, but I'll try to update and see if it works.

Edit: Just checked, and I've got the latest drivers. My graphics card is also good enough to handle Maya.
So I still need help with this problem, but thanks anyways=)

Last edited by Midorini; 27-06-2009 at 11:00 PM.
# 4 28-06-2009 , 12:04 AM
Super Moderator
I think there's a misunderstanding, the hardware shot has the grid and that's a clear indication that's a screenshot of the 3D space, it is using the power of the video card to generate that realtime environment, while the other image is the result of hitting the render button, whether you're using the Maya Software renderer or Mental Ray or whatever. That is what leaves me to believe that its a viewport issue, its not having an effect on the final output.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 5 28-06-2009 , 01:08 AM
Oh, sorry my bad. You're are right, I really need to look into the subject more before I make any claims.

I'll probably try to test if the model works normally by testing it in another program. Although that may take a while.

Thank you, for all your help, I'll make another post if the problem occurs when I use the model.

# 6 28-06-2009 , 03:59 AM
Ok, I had this problem too!
this should help:
In the viewport, there are some menus.
go to Shading, and in that menu you should see 2 options "Object transparency sorting" and "Polygon transparency sorting"... just make sure that polygon is checked...
It worked for me, so I hope it works for you user added image

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com

Last edited by Joopson; 28-06-2009 at 04:03 AM.
# 7 28-06-2009 , 11:36 AM
Thanks a lot Joopson, it did actually work :attn:
But the question is if the model will look normal if I use it for a game. Well, only time will tell I guess.