Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 12-10-2009 , 04:43 AM
Subscriber

Applied shader not showing on Model

Hi there,
I just created some lamberts and assigned them to faces on my model, but the shader doesn't show up unless I render.

Is there an option for it to display without having to render?

Running Maya 2010 on OSX.

# 2 12-10-2009 , 06:15 AM
Can you be more specific? Did you apply a texture to the created lamberts? or did you just create lambert shaders of different colors and the colors are not showing up in the view port?

If you assigned textures and the textures are not showing up, try moving your cursor over the viewport and pressing the number 6 on your keyboard.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 12-10-2009 , 06:57 AM
Subscriber
Sorry,
I created a lambert, choose its colour, then selected the faces on my model and then assigned the lambert to the faces.

Hope thats a bit clearer.

# 4 12-10-2009 , 06:45 PM
EduSciVis-er
Is this a problem with just face-specific lamberts? I.e. if you applied the lambert to the whole object, does it show up?
And to repeat Perfecto, have you tried pressing 5,6 and/or 7?

# 5 12-10-2009 , 08:07 PM
Lifetime Member
Are you using OS X 10.6? If "yes" then you're out of luck. Updates in 10.6 have broken some of Maya's display operations. I guess all your objects appear grey?

One way to resolve this is to enable "Hardware Rendering". This should show your textures but you'll loose quite a bit of UI speed.

If you can roll back to 10.5.

Jacques

Poly-pushing on a '96 SGI O2
# 6 13-10-2009 , 02:42 AM
Subscriber
Thanks guys
Halfloaf, you are right unfortunately.

I will try hardware rendering.