Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 14-02-2014 , 08:25 AM

Maya FBX file problem

Hi,

I am struggling with a FBX file I am trying to edit in Maya. The file is being used in a game I am building using Unity 3D. I simply need to replace the mesh inside the FBX file with my own and then use it in the Unity Project.

I am a beginner using Maya and I need to know what I need to do to the mesh within Maya to have it function exactly the same way as the original mesh does in Unity. Right now the mesh disappears when I start playing the game in the preview screen.

The problem definitely lies in my Maya skills rather than my Unity skills, I have provided both files, if anyone could perhaps point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated,

PlayerHead000.FBX is the file that does not work correctly, PlayerHead002.FBX is an example of a working file.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36897104/fbx.zip

Thanks!

# 2 14-02-2014 , 04:25 PM
Technical Director
Is the mesh affected by joints? If so, it's not a trivial thing to do, as you need to tell which vertices are affected by which joint. If the geometry is the same, it's possible, but if it's radically different, then you're going to have to go in and repaint the joint weights.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.