Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 14-10-2014 , 02:52 PM
Subscriber

creases in mesh while making indents in cylindrical shape

Hello everyone

I'm trying to add few indents to a cylindrical object (something similar to firing slots in a rounded turret.)
Problem is that when i'm switching to smooth preview, I get those annoying creases in the mesh. If i add some edgeloops to maintain the shape of the indent, I lose the rounded shape of a turret.

It is possible to make perfect rounded shapes and in the same time add supportive edges without ruining the round shape??

Thanks in advance

UV0903user added image

# 2 14-10-2014 , 03:25 PM
Not sure if i understood you fully, provide an image or something to make this more clear. if you select an edge that isnt what you expected in smooth preview, but is looking like you want it to in normal preview, try finding one edge loop near the area that is "messing up" and bevel it, you will see the difference and the affection bevel has to this area. duplicate your mesh and go to mesh-smooth to see what actually happens when you press 3 (smooth preview)

if you get annoying creases, you might have too many edgeloops at one place, to get rid of this crease you'll have to delete some edges and if they are important i'd add more loops between the area where you have many edgeloops at one place and the edgeloops closest to them, that'll make the crease less creasy user added image but an image would help to understand this

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^

Last edited by Skalman; 14-10-2014 at 03:27 PM.
# 3 14-10-2014 , 07:48 PM
# 4 15-10-2014 , 09:36 AM
Subscriber
thanks guys for the useful info, but I aimed for something like the problem in the picture. i.e, whenever trying to maintain sharpness of squarish shapes in a cylinder, by adding more edgeloops, you end up with creases in your mesh, destroying the rounded shape you're trying to maintain.

????

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 15-10-2014 , 10:29 AM
The thin red line
I hope this is enough to help you, it will still need to be tweeked a little..............dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 16-10-2014 , 01:16 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Dave!