Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 21-09-2007 , 07:03 AM

1:1 render shows 1:0.995

I dont understand this.
I'm using Maya 8.5 and just recently I purchased version 2008.
It doesnt matter if I use a PC or a iMac... LCD or CRT screens... using a complex or simple scene. Using Mental ray, shadow maps or raytrace... HUGE anti-aliasing setting... or a small one.... tesselation is high or low... doesnt matter...

When I render something and watch it in the render viewer, it seems the zoom is set to 1:1, but it actually shows 1:0.995 or so.
I get jagged lines!!!
When I save the same render out to a .psd file and watch it in photoshop... it looks as smooth as flowing milk.
I simply dont understand this.

Now I did make sure all settings are production level ... AA is set high etc etc...
I tried clicking on 1:1 many times... zoom in or out then click again..
I tried it all.

If I manage to see the .psd file all smooth and clean, there shouldnt be ANY reason for it to appear jagged and aliased in the render view.

Here is an example:

Render Viewer:

user added image

.psd File:

user added image

I added white background in photoshop to show how smooth and anti-aliased the pic is.

so, if anyone knows what causes this and if there is a solution... I'm allll ears! : )

Thanks!

# 2 21-09-2007 , 09:26 AM
Jr.Who
Your post is kinda confusing……

What I think you want to do is just zoom out when you are in the render view.
user added image

# 3 21-09-2007 , 03:10 PM
Hi.
Not sure why its confusing.
First picture shows the render viewer result. All jagged.
The next picture shows a saved version of the same render,
viewed in photoshop. No aliasing at all. Everything is smooth.
Why the differences??

I'm zoomed 1:1 in the render view. It appears its not really 1:1 because the picture is jagged and not smooth.

# 4 21-09-2007 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber
Hey there,

are you using an ATI graphics card?

It's a little quirk with some ATI cards that the render view seems slightly anti-aliased regardless of the settings that you use.

It's not the end of the world though, you can zoom in (as you've found out already) to remedy this while inside Maya and when you save the file or do a batch render the images will be fine.

I have no idea why some ATI cards have this issue but at the end of the day the render view is only really used to inspect, often zooming in any way, what you will eventually save or batch render and as the final output is perfect there's no need to worry.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 5 21-09-2007 , 11:30 PM
Thanks Mat user added image

Well, I have a ATI graphics card on my iMac.
I also have an old Nvidia 6000 series on a PC.
I'm not entirely sure it does the same AA problem when I render.

I still think that for the price they ask, they should have such a glitch fixed.

# 6 22-09-2007 , 12:38 PM
Have you tried setting your AA settings in Catalyst to 'let application decide'?

That may clear up some display 'glitches'.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 7 23-09-2007 , 08:30 PM
Yeah, it's prolly like what Happymat27 suggested. But I'll agree that if you know the files are rendering properly anyway, don't pull your hair out over it.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 8 24-09-2007 , 12:26 AM
I agree with you guys. There's nothing to it really.

But am I the only person that thinks that a program that costs 7k should try and fix this idiotic moronic bug??
All ATI cards (that I tested) with no exception... show the render viewer in less than sewage quality. (if I sound angry.. its cuz i am : )

Switching to nvidia gets clear results.

If I knew this before hand, I would spit on Maya and switch to any other professional 3d package.

Unacceptable !

Thanks for your replies guys. They're really appreciated!

# 9 24-09-2007 , 12:39 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by vangivang
But am I the only person that thinks that a program that costs 7k should try and fix this idiotic moronic bug??
All ATI cards (that I tested) with no exception... show the render viewer in less than sewage quality. (if I sound angry.. its cuz i am : )

If I knew this before hand, I would spit on Maya and switch to any other professional 3d package.

Unacceptable !

I agree, zooming out a little would totally change my decision of getting a huge product like Maya. user added image

# 10 24-09-2007 , 09:17 AM

Originally posted by vangivang
I agree with you guys. There's nothing to it really.

Unacceptable !

Thanks for your replies guys. They're really appreciated!

Don't be so quick to trash Maya. This is the first I've heard of a problem like yours. Are you sure it isn't just a setting? Sounds like a stupid question, but have you tried deleting the preferences and see if that does anything?

Up until recently, all I've ever owned were ATI cards and I never experienced that problem. Are you using different ATI cards on the same system? Try you preferred card on another system and see if it still does it. If it doesn't then at least you know it isn't the video card.

Try updating to the latest drivers and possibly flash your BIOS.

As I said, I've not experienced this issue nor have I heard of it which is why I can't narrow it down except to suggest the above.

I'll see if the I.T. guy at work can think of something.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 11 24-09-2007 , 12:27 PM
Thanks Dave!!

I checked this using an iMac with an ATI radeon x1600 card.
It does the aliasing thing.
I then checked the nvidia card on a pc, and it worked fine.
I then tried a PC with the same ATI card (a friends computer) and it did the same problem.

At school they are using ATI cards aswell and it does the anti aliasing problem.

I know there are several compatible ATI cards that maya has no problem with. Maybe you are using one of those.

Other than that, the ATI cards I tried (at school and at home)
all produced the same problem.

I think it has something to do with pixel ratio.
Even the "squares" that move across the render viewer and fill the picture, arent anti aliased. The "render square" itself has got jagged lines.

Thanks for any help!

# 12 24-09-2007 , 04:24 PM
I also tried playing around and making different configurations in Catalyst. The manager for ATI gfx cards.

still nothing helps.
I'm not sure on how to pull out the gfx card out of the iMac...
So I'm not sure how to test the card on a differnt computer.
I did check a differnt computer and a differnt ATI card. Got the same problem.

# 13 25-09-2007 , 03:06 AM
vangivang > 'I also tried playing around and making different configurations in Catalyst. The manager for ATI gfx cards.'

What settings did you change in Catalyst? You should turn off induvidual settings for each app and keep it universal.

vangivang > 'still nothing helps. I'm not sure on how to pull out the gfx card out of the iMac... So I'm not sure how to test the card on a differnt computer. I did check a differnt computer and a differnt ATI card. Got the same problem.'

You can't put a mac card in a pc, the slot may be the same but it uses a slightly different protocol...

I use ATI, absolutely no problems except the quality isn't as good as FireGL or Quadro.

# 14 25-09-2007 , 03:27 PM
Hey man..

so, shutting down the AA effects in catalyst should solve this?
what settings are u using?

# 15 26-09-2007 , 07:45 AM
vangivang > 'so, shutting down the AA effects in catalyst should solve this?'

I don't know if the AA settings have anything to do with it, but it if the settings aren't checked on 'let application decide' it can sometimes cause 'glitches'. I happened to me once.

vangivang > 'what settings are u using?'

I'm using 'Let app decide' for AA. If want your games to have high AA, then make a profile for the game, not then whole system so all your other apps (including Maya) can choose the AA setting that suits them.

Hope this helps.